Produced in Cooperation with Ask Alexander
Please Note: It takes 5 to 7 business days for the Genii office to activate your iGenii account after you have subscribed. If you order online, you will not have immediate access to iGenii because we manually activate all accounts. Thanks for your patience!
How to Use iGenii
● ACTIVATE. After you have activated your iGenii account (click here if you haven’t done that yet), you will need to login. The login page is located at http://askalexander.org/login.cgi (link opens in a new window).
● LOGIN (Desktop, Laptop, or Phone). Bookmark the login page and write down your User Name and Password. If you misplace your User Name or Password contact us for help.
● LOGIN (iPad, iPhone). Go to the iTunes store and download the free Genii app. Once the app is downloaded, clicking on it will bring you to a login page. Enter your User Name and Password. We are currently waiting for Apple to approve our app, so this service will start sometime within the next month. When you login using the Genii app, you will be brought directly to the current issue. If you wish to view back issues, go to http://askalexander.org/login.cgi and login.
● SEARCH BACK ISSUES. Once you have logged in, you will be directed to Ask Alexander, where all back issues of Genii are stored. A box in the center of the page is ready for you to type in any word or phrase (multiple words must be enclosed in quotation marks—like this: “Dai Vernon”). Once you make an entry and hit return, all instances in which that word or phrase appear in every issue of Genii and The Conjurors’ Magazine will show up. Click on any one to be brought directly to the page. The page may be printed out; pages may only be printed out one at a time. (Excessive “scarfing” of pages in our 75 years of back issues located on Ask Alexander—that is, excessive downloading or printing out of thousands of pages—will result in a loss of access.)
● BROWSE BACK ISSUES. Rather than entering a word or phrase in the search window, you can go to the top of the page and click on “Browse.” When you do, three entries will appear for you to choose from: “Genii,” “The Conjurors’ Magazine,” and “Erdnase.” Clicking on “Genii” will bring you to all past volumes of Genii from 1936 onward. Click on the cover of the volume you wish to peruse and you will be brought to a new page. Use the arrows on the right side to click through the volume one page at a time.
Clicking on “The Conjurors’ Magazine” will bring you to the seven volumes of this magazine from the 1940s. When The Conjurors’ Magazine went out of business, it was purchased by Genii.
Clicking on “Erdnase” will bring you to an ebook of The Expert at the Card Table.
● CURRENT ISSUE. Use your cursor to click on the “Periodicals” button at the top of the page. You will be given a choice of Genii, or The Conjurors’ Magazine, or El Manuscrito. Click on the magazine of your choice and the covers of all the issues will pop up. Click on any issue to begin reading.
TOP ARROWS: Large arrows at the top of the page allow you to flip through one page at a time, or jump to the front or back of the issue. Clicking in the white box between the arrows will open a drop-down menu of every page, allowing you to click on any one.
LEFT TOOLBAR: The toolbar on the left side of the page has a variety of buttons to make finding a specific item in the issue extremely simple.
Zoom: Click on this to zoom in for easier reading. Your cursor will change into a tiny hand, and by mouse-clicking you can use the hand to drag the page around. Click on it again to exit the zoom function.
RIGHT TOOLBAR: Six controls on the right side of the page assist in reading your issue.
Zoom Drag: Personally, I find this feature to be dopey. If you click on button, then move your cursor over the magazine, you’ll see that the image slides in the opposite direction of your cursor. Strange. If you want to read a zoomed image without clicking and dragging, this is how you would do it. Click on the Zoom Drag button a second time and your cursor will change into a hand. When you click on your mouse, the hand will close, grabbing the image, and you can drag it to any position. The only way to exit this mode is to double click on the Zoom button on the LEFT toolbar.
Publisher: Click on the envelope icon to send us a message.
Note that the app for iPad and iPhone has controls across the bottom of the screen which provide similar functions.
All the links and email addresses in the digital Genii are live. Clicking on an advertiser’s url will direct you immediately to their page. Clicking on an email address will open an email directly to that person or company. These links all glow when you first turn the page, and will also glow and beep when your cursor moves over them. You can also click on the “Show Links” button on the bottom of the tool bar on the right side of the screen. All the entries in the Table of Contents are live, and clicking on any entry will take you right to that article. Any article or column which jumps to another page for its conclusion also has a live link at the end and clicking on it will take you to the end of the piece.
Embedded audio and video files are marked with a button and will glow when your cursor moves over them. Click to listen to audio or view video.