|Alan Watson QSM|
|Born||November 26, 1950|
Alan Watson QSM (b. 1950), with his wife Michele, perform at children's birthday parties, corporate functions and provide close-up magic at restaurants in New Zealand.
Over the years, the Watsons have performed before Sir Edmund Hillary, Sir Robert Muldoon, Phyllis Diller, the Sheik of Bahrain, Taufa'ahau Tupou IV (King of Tonga), Jackie Chan, Denzel Washington, Patrick Macnee, (John Steed of the Avengers), Raymond Burr (Perry Mason/Ironside), Sir Peter Blake, Whoopi Goldberg, Lynda Evans (of Dynasty), Dane Te Atairangikaahu (the Maori Queen), Elle McPherson, and numerous TV, radio and political personalities.
Watson learned the art of magic from his great-great uncle Oswald Ashton at the age of seven.
Over the last 25 years, he has appeared in more than 170 newspaper articles.
Originally booked for one week at Fisherman's Wharf, he ended up performing there five nights a week for five years. He performed for 1,423 nights, a record for any New Zealand magician.
In 1987 he became the first close-up magician from New Zealand to appear at the Magic Castle where he promoted New Zealand and its products including kiwifruit and kiwi lager as part of his close-up routine. Alan and Michele have appeared in both the Close-up Gallery and the Parlour of Prestidigitation for a total of over 100 performances.
In 1995, the Magic Circle presented Watson with their highest degree, Member of The Inner Magic Circle (M.I.M.C.) with Gold Star.
In 1996 he performed the close-up magic section in "The Great Kiwi Magic Show" on TV3.
He is also an expert at the computer, and constantly keeps up with the leading technology. He co-founded the MagicNZ bulletin board in the early 1990s, introducing New Zealand magicians to the Internet, Alan edits the weekly Magic New Zealand® e-zine, which is read each week by over 17,000 magicians in more than 78 countries.
Alan Watson is the International Deputy for the Society of American Magicians for New Zealand. He also acts as the New Zealand representative for The Magic Circle. Over the years, he has organized more than 100 lectures by international magicians to educate and benefit New Zealand magicians. Alan has also served on the committee for seven national New Zealand conventions, and at two of these, was responsible for publicity and marketing.
In his limited free time, Alan works to prevent exposure of magic tricks and methods.
He was presented with the 2014 Award of Merit from The Academy of Magical Arts, for "his tireless work editing and publishing Magic New Zealand, a weekly e-zine distributed to internet subscribers at no charge. Now well past its thousand issue, it has helped to inform and connect tens of thousands of readers."
In the 2015 New Year's Royal Honours list Alan received The Queen’s Service Medal (QSM) for services as a magician.
Awards and honors
- 2016 - Order of Merlin - Shield - from IBM International President - for a long-standing membership (35 years)
- 2015 - New Zealand Royal Honour - Queen’s Service Medal (QSM) for services as a magician.
- 2014 - Award of Merit from The Academy of Magical Arts, for "his tireless work editing and publishing Magic New Zealand, a weekly e-zine distributed to internet subscribers at no charge. Now well past its thousand issue, it has helped to inform and connect tens of thousands of readers."
- 2010 - Presidential Citation - from The Society of American Magicians President - for his extraordinary support and countless hours of service for the betterment of The Society of American Magicians through Magic New Zealand, enthusiastic participation and willingness to assist with any and all requests made of him as an International Deputy of the Society, and for being a member that all would do well to emulate.
- 2006 - Order of Merlin - from IBM International President - for a long-standing (25 years) and service to the art of magic
- 2005 - Presidential Citation - from IBM International President - for his contributions to the advancement of the Art of Magic and to the Brotherhood of Magicians with continuing interest and donations of time and effort
- 2005 - Best Mental Effect - Linking Ring Awards - A Plaque
- 2002 - DRAGON Award - from the President of the J.Marberger Stuart Foundation, Inc. - A lifetime achievement award given to a team in Magic who excels in Drama, Romance, Artistry, Glamour, Originality, and Necromancy
- 2002 - Certificate of Appreciation - from IBM International President
- 1990 - 1st place - Close-up - 22nd Australian Convention of Magicians
- 1982 - The Peter J. Shield Award - 18th Australian Convention of Magicians for Outstanding Contribution to the Art of Mentalism
- 2006 - The Grand Master of Magic Award® - The Supreme Award for excellence for a New Zealand magician
- 2006 - The Benny Award - Lifetime achievement - The most prestigious and highest award of The New Zealand Variety Artists Club (Life Member)
- 2003 - Agnew Excellence Award - Achieving excellence in his chosen field as a professional magician. The citation also acknowledged his dedication and professionalism and saluted his achievements in magic - Variety Artists Club of New Zealand
- 1999 - Scroll of Honour - In recognition for his major contributions and achievements in the professional art of magic and also for his expertise and dedication to introduce cyber technology to the entertainment profession - Variety Artists Club of New Zealand
- 1997 - Shure Golden Microphone - Most Professional Entertainer - Variety Artists Club of New Zealand
- 4 times Top Close-up Performer - New Zealand International Magic Conventions
- 6 times Top Children's Entertainer - New Zealand International Magic Conventions
- 4 times Top Magician - Variety Artists Club of New Zealand
- Member of The Magic Circle London (M.I.M.C.) with Gold Star (9 years New Zealand's Representative)
- Regular Performing Member of the Magic Castle Hollywood
- Society of American Magicians (International Representative, 15 years International Deputy for New Zealand & Life Member #246)
- International Brotherhood of Magicians (5 times President Ring 160 & Life Member)
- IBM The Global Electronic Ring 2100 (17 years on Board of Directors)
- MagicNZ BBS (Co-Director and Co-Founder)
- Magic New Zealand® e-zine (Founder and Editor)
- New Zealand Society of Magicians (4 times President, Past FISM Delegate & Life Member)
- Brotherhood of Auckland Magicians Inc.
- The International Magic Archives (Life Member)
- The Electronic Grymoire
- World Alliance of Magicians
- International Magicians Society
- MagicWebChannel (Magic Advisor)
- The Magic Circular - August 2015 - Front cover - Pages 234-237
- Vanish Magazine - April 2013 Front Cover - Pages 30-45
- The Linking Ring - July 2004 - Front cover - Kiwi Magic pages 83-107
- The Linking Ring - November 1998 - Front cover - Kiwi Magic pages 87-105
- M.U.M. magazine - September 1997 - Watsons front cover - Kiwi Magic pages 15-25
- Australian Magic Monthly - November 1996 - Alan Watson featured on front cover with accompanying article
- The Magic Circular [UK] - December 1995 - Front cover - New Zealand special section pages 223-230 . Also in this edition Peter *Blanchard wrote a double page spread on the Watsons 'This is your life' pages 234-235
- Genii magazine [US] - Genii 1992 October - Front cover - New Zealand special issue for which Alan compiled pages 805-819
- The Linking Ring - November 2006 - Front cover - Pages 35-40 plus 68-70
- Magicana Magazine (NZ) - Three times on front cover.
- ↑ http://watson.co.nz/
- ↑ Alan Watson Receives Queens Service Medal, 2015 New Years Honours, Stuff Article
- ↑ http://brotherhoodofaucklandmagicians.com/about-us/
- ↑ http://brotherhoodofaucklandmagicians.com/grand-masters-of-magic/#alanwatson
| This page incorporated content from Alan Watson (magician),
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License