Cover of Genii (1948)
|Born||Arthur Herbert Buckley|
December 15, 1890
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
|Died||February 20, 1953 (age 62) |
Arthur Buckley (1890-1953) started out in 1908 as 'Young Dante, King of Kards' and 'Kind of Koins', then performed as 'Mysto' in Australia and New Zealand.
BiographyHe came to United States in 1918 and soon became well known in America on the major vaudeville circuits of the 1920s. He was schooled by the great sleight-of-hand artists he met in the entertainment business and by professional gamblers he met in his early years touring Australia.
The location of Arthur H. Buckley's "Magic Products Co," from which he published the monthly "New and Improved Card Effects" and sold leather playing card cases was listed as "804 S Wabash, Chicago, IL" in his advertised him Billboard magazine.
By 1925, he was working as a two-person mind-reading with his partner/wife Helena.
In 1934, Buckley came back to the United States to settle in Chicago as an electronics engineer for Reliable Electric in a creative and consulting capacity. He developed a number of commercially successful patents. In Chicago, he became close friends with Alton Sharpe.
He developed one of his most well-known coin sleights the Muscle Pass sometime before 1948, as well as originated and developed the card production known today as the "split fan" production.
Just before his death, he made a TV appearance on the Don Alan Show, then flew at once to the Coast where he appeared on "You Asked For It" with his coin manipulations. The day he returned to work in Chicago, he suffered a heart attack.
Between 1921 and 1924, Buckley wrote a series of twelve problems under the name New and Improved Effects with Cards. These effects are:
- No. 1 A Triple Climax
- No. 2 The Burglar
- No. 3 Twelve Cards to Pocket
"The first ten of these improved and original card problems, series one and two, were published in two small pamphlets of five effects each in 1924". (Excerpt from Improved and Original Card Problems - 1930)
- Improved and Original Card Problems (1930)
- Card Control : Practical Methods and Forty Original Card Experiments (1946)
- Gems of Mental Magic with John Cook (1947)
- Principles and Deceptions (1948)
- ↑ http://www.chicagomagicstudio.com/map/locations/389.html
- ↑ Billboard (12/10/1921)
- Perennial Mystery # 14, 1999, Arthur Herbert Buckley in Australia 1924-1929, A Unique Portion of a Magical Life by Brian McCullagh, pages 23-39
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 27, No. 7, September 1947, Embarrassing Moments in Magic by Arthur Buckley, page 22
- Cover Genii, Vol. 13, No. 1, September 1948, ARTHUR BUCKLEY by THEO. BAMBERG ("OKITO"), page 13
- The Sphinx, Vol. XLVIII, No. Three, May 1949, My First Career-Magic by Arthur Buckley (autobiography), page 66
- Goodliffe's Abracadabra, Vol. 9, No. 222, April 1950, AMERICAN PROFILES BY Robert Lund ARTHUR BUCKLEY, page 220
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 33. No. 1, March 1953, Arthur Buckley by John Braun, page 43
- The Sphinx, Vol. 52, No. ONE, March 1953, Arthur H. Buckley December 15, 1890 - February 20, 1953, page 38
- Tops, Vol. 18, No. 4, April 1953, ARTHUR BUCKLEY DIES, page 27