J. B. Bobo
|J. B. Bobo|
|Born||February 11, 1910|
|Died||September 12 1996 (age 86) |
|Resting place||East Memorial Gardens cemetery, Texarkana, Arkansas|
J. B. Bobo (February 11, 1910 – September 12, 1996) was a magician most known for his work and writing in the arena of coin magic. His work entitled Modern Coin Magic (originally published in 1952) is still considered today to be a core reference by most magicians.
Bobo was born in Texarkana (half of the city is in Texas, the other half lies in Arkansas) and christened with those initials only. His French immigrant great-grandfather, Jean Beaubeaux, had anglicized the family name.
His family moved to Canada when he was twelve about the time he got interested in magic. Bobo later returned to Texarkana at age nineteen, where he started to perform locally. He met and married Lillian Carlow, who became part of his act. The Bobos traveled around giving school shows. At their peak, they performed 400 to 450 shows a year. It has been estimated that they gave more than 14,000 school shows over fifty year career.
In 1947, Bobo started to put many of his magic ideas into books that earned him a worldwide reputation. Bobo also excelled as an artist, cartoonist, photographer, cinematographer, and craftsman. He designed his own flyers and posters, and he made many of his own trick apparatus.
In 2006, a DVD tribute was created, which featured an interview, a complete children's performance by him and his wife, along with demonstrations and explanations of many of his tricks.
J.B. Bobo is buried at East Memorial Gardens cemetery, Texarkana, Arkansas.
- Watch This One! (1947)
- Modern Coin Magic (1952)
- New Modern Coin Magic (1966)
- The Bobo Magic Show (1984)
| This page incorporated content from J. B. Bobo,
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
- Cover, Tops Magazine, Vol. 11, No. 9 September 1946, Bobo – Modern Miracle Worker!, page 4
- Cover, The Sphinx Vol. 48, No. 5, July 1949, The Cover, J.B. Bobo, page 116
- Article Genii 1952 November
- The New Modern COIN MAGIC (1952), J. B. Bobo, by John Braun, page xiii
- Cover, The Gen, Vol. 9, No. 10, February 1954, FRONT PAGE PERSONALITY, BOBO, The Magician, page 307
- Genii Magazine, Vol. 20, No. 1, September 1955, Picture J. B. Bobo, page 33
- M-U-M, Vol. 68, No. 12, May 1979, Bobo, magician-of-the-month, by David R. Goodsell, page 11
- The Greater Magic Video Library. Vol. 23: Bobo (1987)
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 68, No. 7, July 1988, Memoirs Of A Magician's Ghost, by John Booth, CHAPTER 222 - Mindreading by Read School Magic by Bobo, page 53
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 76, No. 11, November 1996, BROKEN WAND, J.B. Bobo, page 126
- M-U-M, Vol. 68, No. 6, November 1996, Broken Wand, J.B. Bobo, page 45