From Magician's Directory (1946)
January 20, 1885
|Died||August 05, 1946 (age 61) |
Buffalo, New York
|Resting place||Arn Prior in Ontario, Canada.|
Joseph Ovette (1885-1946), born Giuseppe (Joseph) Olivo in Italy, was a prolific author and top ranking magician.
Ovette and his three brothers were raised in Brooklyn, New York and his first magic shows were with the Kickapoo Medicine Show in 1916 until 1919. He then toured the country playing the Vaudeville circuits. Featuring such acts as the "Man they Could not Hang," and the Bullet Catch, he obtained wide publicity.
He also lived in Canada and was very active in Magical Societies. The Sphinx and M-U-M had published articles about him and his magic. He was the originator of the "Ovette Master Move", which had been published in Genii as "Kelly's Bottom Placement", causing some sort of confusion about the originator.
Ovette did a crystal gazing act as "Mar-Jah", of which he would state, he was the original...as several other mental acts billed themselves as "Mar-jah" as well. A real showman, he wrote a lot of material about publicity stunts like being buried alive and blindfold drives.
He contributed lots of tricks and articles to the The Linking Ring between 1930 and 1940
Operated on for a malignant throat on July 24th, he succumbed on August 5th at in Buffalo, New York. He was buried on August 7th at Arn Prior in Ontario, Canada.
- The Master Move (1927)
- What Is It? (1931)
- Artagraphs (1933)
- The Perfection Flag Trick - (1936)
- Magician's New Field (1916)
- Trickery Tricks (1917)
- Advanced Magic (1919)
- The Book of Wisdom (1920)
- Bargain Magic (1921)
- Practical Telepathy (1924)
- Publicity Miracles (1928)
- Book of Moses Outdone (1930)
- Silk Creations (1931)
- Eggstraordinary Ways of Eggshibiting With Eggs (1932)
- Miraculous Hindu Feats - (1934)
- Odds and Ends in Cardology - (1937)
- Kandle Magik (1937)
- Fast Ones (1940)
- Ovette's Tricks and Illusionettes - (1944)
- Exclusive Magical Effects (Catalogue 1926)
- ↑ Who's Who in Magic, The Sphinx, Vol. 30, No.6, August 1931, page 35
- ↑ The Great Ovette, The Bat, No. 33, September 1946, Great Ovette, page 178
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 11, No. 1, March 1931, JOSEPH OVETTE, page 50
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 12, No. 6, August 1932, SIGNOR JOSEPH OVETTE, page 488
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 26, No. 7, September 1946, The Secretary Reports, REQUIESCAT IN PACE, page 90
- The Sphinx, Vol. 45, No, 7, September 1946, Great Ovette, page 217