|Born||Joseph S. Zering|
|Died||December 8, 1988 (age 71) |
Joe Zering (c.1916-1988) was a Chicago magician who, for decades, worked the magic counter, located in the 4th floor toy department of Marshall Fields. With the closing of most of the downtown magic shops, Zering's counter became the de facto place for magicians, and it is described as being quite well-stocked despite its location.
He performed using the name "Zeringo" and retired from Marshall Fields (now Macy's) in 1987.
Zering contribued to the book Parakeet Magic, Magic, Inc. (1971)
- Blie, Norbert. Chi-Town . Zering is discussed on page 129.
- Shlaes, Noah. Downtown (essay) misidentifies (?) Joe as Ray but discusses the magic counter.
- Marshall, Frances. "Around Chicago" in The Linking Ring. April 1987. Page 97.
- Joe Zering's Magic Counter on The Map of Chicago Magic
- Obit, Linking Ring, June, 1989