MagicPedia:All Things Magic Edit-a-thon 2013
All Things Magic Edit-a-thon 2013 was held on Saturday, September 14th.This Wiki-kadabra event promoted bringing together magicians and magic enthusiasts from around the world to help update Wikipedia and MagicPedia articles concentrating on a range of topics around magic history. See the Wikipedia Meetup page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/All_Things_Magic_Edit-a-thon_2013
Sponsored by MagicPedia (the wiki for magicians by magicians), Genii Magazine, the Conjuring Arts Research Center and Grand Illusions magic store, it was held virtually around the world, with the goal to help assimilate MagicPedia's content into Wikipedia (and vice versa).
Thanks to everyone who participated!
Wiki-kadabra: All Things Magic Edit-a-thon
- Date: Saturday, September 14, 2013
- Time: 11:00am - 6:00pm EDT and PDT (There will be a short Kickoff/Introduction at both 11:00am EDT and 11:00am PDT)
- Location: All over the world
- We plan to use Google Hangouts and Skype
- Google Hangout Event: https://plus.google.com/events/c9pot7ghkc6cjptfkdigrggmgt8
- Grand Illusions magic shop in Carmichael, California will host a local hangout. The store will be open from 10am to 6pm. They have a large library of Magic, Genii, Linking Ring and Mum magazines, some dating into the 30s, available.
- We plan to use Google Hangouts and Skype
- Event: An edit-a-thon! Learn how to contribute to Wikipedia and collaborate with others to write about topics related to magic history.
- Hashtag: #Wikikadabra
Contribute to the world's most popular encyclopedia! In conjunction with MagicPedia (the wiki for magicians by magicians), Genii Magazine, the Conjuring Arts Research Center and Grand Illusions magic store, we will be hosting a virtual edit-a-thon to improve a range of topics around magic history in Wikiepedia and MagicPedia.
Join us! No experience needed. Anyone with an interest in editing collaboratively and having a great time is encouraged to attend. Even if you just have a favorite magician you would like the volunteers to research, join in and provide ideas.
- Create articles on notable magicians on MagicPedia not yet on Wikipedia
- List of good candidates (where we left off last time) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Leeasher#Articles_I.27m_going_to_start
- Flesh out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Magic_%28illusion%29_stubs
- See if all the Genii covers on MagicPedia can be used on Wikipedia. It has lots of images of magicians we can use.
- Synchronize all the current Wikipedia articles being used in MagicPedia: Category:Reused_content_from_Wikimedia_projects
- Check for other topics requested on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Magic
- Improve and help organize the magic related categories http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Magic_%28illusion%29
- Review the current WikiProject_Magic_articles
- Review current article by quality Category:Magic_articles_by_quality
- Help create needed pages in MagicPedia (those with the most links from other pages): Special:WantedPages
- Nominate featured articles and featured pictures Category:Featured_Article_Candidate.
- Suggest other ideas!
Sign up if you plan on attending
Ask Alexander Access:
Be sure to also get a Wikipedia account and you can sign up there at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/All_Things_Magic_Edit-a-thon_2013#Sign_up
Wikipedia resources for edit-a-thon participants
Read beforehand if you want to be up and running before the event:
- Wikipedia:REFB - Referencing for beginners
- Wikipedia:PRIMER - A great guide for new users, particularly on building articles and moving pages from user sandboxes, which is where some may want to start.
- Wikipedia:TEAHOUSE - This is The Teahouse, where hosts help new users out with questions about a variety of how-to type questions. Turnaround time on questions is pretty fast because there are a lot of eyes on the page these days.
- firstname.lastname@example.org - The e-mail that editors should contact if they want to contribute images or photographs of magic-related subjects for use on Wikipedia under a free license.
- Wikipedia:Article wizard
- Wikipedia:Neutral point of view
- Most editathons suggest including an expert Wikipedia editor to help volunteers navigate the ins and outs of Wikipedia guidelines. We'll be in search of at least one to be available on the day of the event. Jethro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:I_Jethrobot), a Wikipedia editor since 2006, has signed up to join us.
- GLAM provided some tips on helping to prepare and advertise.
More information and examples
- Washington Post article on the Washington DC edit-a-thon
- DC History
- DC Civil War
- Wiki loves Humanities
- Topeka Wikipedia Day
- NY Times article wikiwomen-love-libraries
- Bodleian Libraries ‘editathon’ focusing on the Queen Victoria’s Journals