Perth Magic Circle

From MagicPedia, the free online encyclopedia for magicians by magicians.
Jump to: navigation, search
Perth Magic Circle was formed in February of 1950 as the "Perth Magical Society", changing to the current name in 1954.
Perth.gif

The first meetings were held in the York House Hotel, Perth with the founder members including John Beattie President, Douglas Cunnison Vice President, Ian Spark Treasurer/Secretary, Dr. John Aitken, Jack Whittaker, Gordon Smith and Leslie Dunne.

They started in York House Hotel and then moved on to Masonic Hall, Playhouse Cafe, 7 Atholl Crescent, the home of Peter Moffat, Perth Social and Leisure club, and Perth Prison Officers Club.

When new members came to join the club they were allocated a tutor. It is recorded in the minutes that the first novice to join was a James Stewart who had Douglas Cunnison as his tutor.

The club was just up and running when they received a proposal from the Paisley Magic Circle to establish the Scottish Association of Magical Societies (SAMS). The club became one of the original six. They had a fallout with SAMS related to the Association magazine but rejoined some ten years later.

Presidents have been John Beattie, Peter Moffatt, Ian Dougall, Jim Imrie, Adrian Harris, Alistair Cowe. Hon. Vice Presidents have been Donald Bevan, David Nixon, and Bayard Grimshaw.[1]

The last handful of members of the once thriving Kirkcaldy Magic Circle joined the Perth Magic Circle in 1913.

References

  1. http://www.scamagic.org/index.php/History-of-Magic-Clubs-In-Scotland/perth-magic-circle.html
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Interaction
Support our sponsor
Share
Print/export
Toolbox