Abbott's Get-Together is a long running convention for magicians in the United States, which is held each year in Colon, Michigan. It was founded in 1937 by Percy Abbott and his business partner, Recil Bordner. There are routinely multiple stage shows, a "close up magic" gala, lectures, contests, and a dealer's room. The 70th anniversary of the Get-Together took place on August 1-4, 2007.
History of the Get-Together
- Percy Abbott, an Australia-born magician who owned several Australian magic supply companies in the early 1900s, co-founded the Blackstone Magic Company in Colon, Michigan with Harry Blackstone Sr. in 1927. Eighteen months later, the two parted ways.
- In 1934 Abbott reopened the business as the "Abbott Magic Company" with Bordner as his partner, and in an attempt to boost poor sales, they decided to hold an open house. Fifty magicians from the area of Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio came to watch as Bordner performed with other magicians while Abbott was the MC. This event was closed to the public, but boosted sales so much that the held another open house the following year to even more success.
- In 1936 the 3rd gathering is at Colon, Michigan, September 12th, with Lester Lake (Marvelo) as the MC.
- In 1937 the gathering was officially opened to the public and moved to the high school gymnasium.
- In 1944, Dai Vernon comes to the gathering for the first time.
- In 1945, there is no gathering, only an Open House Week from September 3 to 8th with : Cardini, AI Flosso, Monk Watson, Max Holden, Jimmie Trimble, Al Minder, Frank Carter, Dr. Jacob Daley, Herry Cecil, John Booth, Bert Allerton, Clyde Cairy, Russ Walsh, Walter Domzalski, Stewart Judah, Al O'Hagen, Dr. Gene Bulson, Audley Dunham, Donald Ausman, etc., etc.
- In 1946, Milton Kort and Stewart James "cooked up a little joke to play on Ed Marlo". See page 235 of Kort By Stephen Minch (1999).
- In 1948, unheralded and unannounced appearance on Saturday night's show of Edgar Bergen, famed ventriloquist and radio and screen star, together with Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd, and his fellow travellers, Pat Patrick and Jim Sherman.
- In 1949, Geraldine Larsen, editor of Genii and Television's Magic Lady, Bob Lund, publisher and editor of Conjuror's Magazine, John Mulholland, editor of The Sphinx and R.C. Buff, editor of Modern Magi are at the gathering.
- In 1950 and 1951, no gathering.
- In 1953, the gathering is at Three Rivers instead of Colon, Michigan.
- In 1954, no gathering.
- In 1955, the gathering is at Sturgis, Michigan.
- In 1956, the gathering is at Battle Creek, Michigan.
| This page incorporated content from Abbott's_Get_Together,
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License