Art of Astonishment Volume 1
From Magicpedia, the free online encyclopedia for magicians by magicians.
Revision as of 18:02, 16 February 2012 by Jpecore (Reverted edits by Magicpedia Bot (talk) to last revision by Jpecore)
First in a three volume set of books. Included essays and conversations with Eric Mead.
|Art of Astonishment Volume 1|
|Followed by||Art of Astonishment Volume 2|
- 3 "What Does ""Additional Writing by Eric Mead"" Mean"
- 5 P.H on Astonishment (Astonishment Is Our Natural State Of Mind) Essay
- 11 Buck Naked (from New Stuff) The 'bent corner' principle used in Seductive Switch is used with currency to provide a bill switch gimmick.
- 23 Unshuffling Rebecca (New Stuff) A Triumph-like effect.
- 27 Light and Heavy Dime (New Stuff) Effect wherein a spectator cannot lift a coin.
- 29 Backlash (New Stuff) A card to pocket transposition effect.
- 31 Improv Nightshades (New Stuff) Sunglasses drawn on a dollar bill flip up to show George's eyes.
- 35 Apple (New Stuff) Torn and restored Apple
- 37 Lip Balm (New Stuff) Okito box-like effect using a common drugstore item.
- 41 P.H Vanishing Deck (First Piece) Remove a deck from it's case, cover it with your hand. Remove the Joker from the top, wave it over the hand and the deck vanishes only to appear back in the box.
- 47 My Dinner with P.H. (Magic of Paul Harris) Essay
- 51 Illusion (Magic of Paul Harris) A card, placed between two Jacks vanishes and reappears face up in the center of the pack.
- 55 Color Stunner (Magic of Paul Harris) Color changing deck routine.
- 59 Flip Flop Plop (Magic of Paul Harris) Card control based on the Three Card Monte toss.
- 63 Bayberry Bag Swindle (Magic of Paul Harris) One cup, cup and ball routine using a paper lunch sack.
- 67 Think of a Card (Magic of Paul Harris)
- 71 Deep Thought (Magic of Paul Harris) - addition to the Think of a Card above
- 75 Silver and Aces (revised) (Magic of Paul Harris) Gaff to carry and produce four coins for a card/coin routine such as ...
- 79 Giant Killer Coin (Magic of Paul Harris) Paul's Matrix follow-up with a giant coin finish.
- 83 Rip-Off Reverse (Magic of Paul Harris) Paul's first 'impromptu flap card' effect which came to full fruition in 'Buck Naked'.
- 87 Flash Fold (Magic of Paul Harris) Signed business card to matchbox.
- 95 LaLa's LuLu aka The Phantom aka Cue Cards Etc (revised) (Intimate Secrets) Inspired by Larry Jenning's classic 'The Visitor'.
- 99 Dehydrated Deck (Intimate Secrets) A small packet is unfolded and assembled into a card case. The case is opened and a deck is removed.
- 101 Bizarre Twist (Intimate Secrets) Two face down red aces are used to sandwich the ace of spades which is positioned at a right angle (crosswise) to the red aces. The cards are twisted and the spade visibly turns from face down to face up. This is repeated and on the third turn the back visibly changes from blue to red.
- 105 Curley Cue Move (Intimate Secrets) Randy Holt's odd flourish where a one handed fan springs from the top of the pack.
- 107 Solid Deception (Intimate Secrets) A short ambitious card routine which ends with the deck being welded into a solid block.
- 113 Ultimate Rip-off (Super Magic) An ungaffed torn and restored card using only one playing card.
- 119 Ultimate Rip-off: Dancing with the Last Piece (Super Magic) Further thoughts on the Ultimate Rip-off
- 121 Double Monte (Super Magic) Two aces change places with one queen.
- 123 Earth Shoes (Super Magic) Complaining of a stone in his shoe the performer removes the shoe and dumps a foot-sized rock out of it and onto the floor.
- 125 Grasshopper (revised) (Super Magic) A card jumps from between one pair of kings to the other.
- 127 Open Revelation (revised) (Super Magic) Two one-handed fans are waved over the table and a face up ace appears. The fans are shown on both sides and another aces is produced. In this way all four aces are produced.
- 131 Three-Way Display (Super Magic) Another flourish: the deck is cut into three one handed fans.
- 133 Machine Gun Aces (Super Magic) The deck is turned into a pistol which fires aces.
- 135 Pain (Super Magic) ouch
- 137 Re-Set (Super Magic) Two packets, aces and jacks are shown. Jacks are placed on the table and aces are held in the hands. One at a time the aces change places with the jacks. For a kicker ending the four jacks "reset" and become aces once again.
- 143 Re-Set Options (Super Magic) Further thoughts on Re-Set.
- 145 Torn and Restored Coin (Super Magic)
- 147 Las Vegas Split (Super Magic) The magician tells the tale of a Blackjack game where he was dealt a pair of deuces. He makes good by splitting the deuces into four aces. Then the four jacks are produced to make four winning hands!
- 153 Flash Control (Super Magic) A flourish and control
- 155 Ace Trap (Super Magic) A four ace routine where a trap (made of cards) is baited with one ace to collect the other three.
- 157 Hi Ho Silver (Super Magic) A coin vanish using the deck for cover.
- 159 Vacuum Cleaner Cards (Super Magic) A very funny four ace routine
- 165 Care and Feeding of P.H. (Las Vegas Close-Up) Short essay by Chuck Martinez on Paul Harris
- 167 Stapled (Las Vegas Close-Up) Two Jokers are stapled together. A signed card changes places with one of the stapled cards and is now stapled to the other joker.
- 171 Over Exposure (Las Vegas Close-Up) The deck is turned into a disposable camera (using a Queen as a flash cube)
- 175 Absorption (Las Vegas Close-Up) A card ins 'absorbed' into the card case during an amusing 'memory test'. Paul calls this a 'sort of cardician's whoopee cushion'.
- 181 AeroDynamic Dollar (Las Vegas Close-Up) A bill is folded into a propeller and nailed to the ceiling.
- 185 Las Vegas Leaper (Las Vegas Close-Up) Cards Across routine.
- 187 Leap of Faith (Las Vegas Close Up) Bill Malone's take on 'Las Vegas Leaper'
- 189 New Twisted Collectors (Las Vegas Close-Up) J.C.Wagner and Alan Ackerman's hybrid of 'Twisting The Aces' and 'The Collectors'
- 191 Gambler vs. Mentalist vs. Magician (Las Vegas Close-Up) A Triumph routine.
- 195 Looy's False Count (Las Vegas Close-Up) A clever gag
- 197 Cros-Twist (Las Vegas Close-Up) A one-handed version of the Bizarre Twist.
- 197 Silver Slide (Las Vegas Close-Up) Four cards are slipped from the deck and placed on the table. A coin is vanished and the spectator is asked to guess under which card it will appear. After revealing that the spectator guessed correctly the magician moves the other cards to show that he made sure the spectator wouldn't miss as there are coins under every card!
- 205 Cardician's Blendo (Las Vegas Close-Up) After missing twice (4 of diamonds, 6 of diamonds) the magician takes the two incorrect cards and blends them into the selection (10 of diamonds)
- 207 Invisible Rising Card (Las Vegas Close-Up) A Invisible Deck routine without the trick deck.
- 211 Paper Chase (Las Vegas Close-Up) Chink-A-Chink with paper balls
- 213 Korem's Card on Tie (Las Vegas Close Up) A selected card appears pinned on the performers necktie.
- 217 Perpetual Motion Coin Myth (Las Vegas Close-Up) An impossible(?) coin flourish
- 219 Interlaced Vanish (Las Vegas Close-Up)
- 223 Interlaced Space (Las Vegas Close-Up) Three cards, face down between the four kings, vanish!
- 225 Uncanny (Las Vegas Close-Up) A one cup, cup and ball routine using a Beenie Weenie can.
- 231 Air (Misc. Pieces of Paul) The air in your lungs changes places with the helium in a balloon.
- 233 Classic 11 Card Trick (Misc. Pieces of Paul) The classic 11 card trick which adds the revelation of a selected card for a climax.
- 241 Cheap Juggler (Misc. Pieces of Paul) Pennies are balanced on their edges.
- 247 Creation (Astonishing Friends) Patrick Martin's method for creating a live moth from a paper cocoon.
- 251 Griffin Under Glass (Astonishing Friends) Card through a glass topped table!.
- 253 Silver Mirage (Astonishing Friends) a graceful coin vanish and reproduction.
- 255 Within Your Reach (Astonishing Friends) A odd bit of physical magic where you arm apparently stretches.
- 257 Grippo's Wish (Astonishing Friends) Jimmy Grippo's handling of Slydini's Silk Knots
- 261 Orange (Astonishing Friends) a novelty method of sculpting an orange peel.
- 267 Who the Heck is Gregory Wilson? (Gregory Wilson)
- 269 Wilson on P.H (Gregory Wilson) Essays
- 271 License to Thrill (Gregory Wilson) Greg Wilson's full presentation and method of Paul effect License (your drivers license changes places with a spectators)
- 277 411 (Gregory Wilson) Telephone mentalist. A random number from the phone directory is called to determine a randomly selected object.
- 285 Shell-Shock (Gregory Wilson) Coin in Egg
- 285 Vanish 5000 (Gregory Wilson) A vanishing sugar trick
- 287 Molotov Cocktail (Gregory Wilson) Vanishing Ice Cube
- 289 ReCap (Gregory Wilson) Full routine using only a stick style ball point pen and cap. Cap vanishes, pen vanishes, audience laughs...
- 303 Tunnel Vision (Conversations from the Edge)
- 305 House Guest (Conversations from the Edge) Two very odd ideas that even Paul can't make into a trick... yet.
- Art of Astonishment the video
- Art of Astonishment Volume 2
- Art of Astonishment Volume 3
- Paul Harris effects not included in AoA
|Category:Books by author||Category:Books by publisher||Category:Books by year|
|Early Magic Books||Bibliographies||Magic themed novels|