Cover of Genii (1950)
May 14, 1898
|Died||April 06, 1977 (age 78) |
|Categories||Books by Dariel Fitzkee|
Dariel Fitzkee (1898-1977) was the pen name of Dariel Fitzroy. An acoustical engineer by profession, he was a semi-professional magician/author, born in Annawan, Illinois. His trilogy (Showmanship for Magicians, The Trick Brain and Magic by Misdirection), also known as The Fitzkee Trilogy, is considered by many to be an important contribution to the theory of magic.
Starting in 1937, Fitzkee began a column in Genii called "Thoughts are Things" and then in October, 1938 once called "Glimpses of Strange Shadows" which was to run almost two years. Then starting in March, 1944 Dariel began the monthly column of book and magazine reviews for Genii entitled Paper and Ink which ran for over 12 years.
Fitzkee eventually withdrew from magic and started a career in acoustics and sound engineering. He would even be made a "Fellow" of the Acoustical Society of America (it's highest honor) even though entirely self taught.
In Steve Martin's memoir, Born Standing Up, comedian and one-time magician describes Fitzkee's Showmanship for Magicians as "more important to me than The Catcher In The Rye," adding that they were, coincidentally, distant relatives by marriage.
- Cut and Restored Rope Manipulation (1929)
- Jumbo Card Manipulation (1929)
- Linking Ring Manipulation (1930)
- Misdirection for Magicians (1935)
- Contact Mind Reading Expanded (1935)
- The Strange Invention of Dr Ervin (1937)
- Showmanship for Magicians (1943)
- The Only Six Ways To Restore a Rope (1944) Reprint as Rope Eternal in 1957.
- The Trick Brain (1944)
- Magic by Misdirection (1945)
- Rings in your Fingers (1946)
- The Card Expert Entertains (1948)
- ↑ Finding Dariel Fitzkee: The Man with the Trick Brain by David Goodsell (2009)
| This page incorporated content from Dariel Fitzkee,
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License