Cover of Sphinx 1906
|Born||David Phelps Abbott|
September 22, 1863
Falls City, Nebraska
|Died||June 12, 1934 (age 70) |
|Notable works||Behind the Scenes With the Mediums|
|Known for||magician, author and inventor|
David Phelps Abbott (September 22, 1863 - June 12, 1934) was a magician, author and inventor who created such effects as the floating ball, later made famous by Okito.
The October, 1906 issue of Sphinx contains a biography of Abbott with his picture on the cover. Abbott became a wealthy businessman in the American Mid-West. As an amateur magician, he performed for invited guests in his private theater he built at his home from 1907 until he died. There he demonstrated his Talking Teakettle (around 1907, decades before miniature radio electronics came into use) and Talking Vase (in 1909).
He wrote Behind the Scenes With the Mediums (1907), considered to be one of the best exposures of the methods used by psychics. He exposed many mentalism techniques including Slate Writing and Billet Reading.
- Behind the Scenes With the Mediums by David P. Abbott (1907)
- The Marvelous Creations of Josefy by David P. Abbott (1908).
- David P. Abbott's Book of Mysteries, published posthumously by Walter Graham (1977).
- House of Mystery: Vol. 1 - The Magic Science of David P. Abbott - Vol. 1 Behind The Scenes; Editor: Teller, Todd Karr (2005)
- House of Mystery: Vol. 2 - The Magic Science of David P. Abbott - Vol. 2 The Book of Mysteries; Editor: Teller, Todd Karr (2005)
| This page incorporated content from David Abbott (magician),
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License