December 03, 1899
|Died||June 01, 1974 (age 74) |
|Categories||Books by Eddie Joseph|
Eddie Joseps interest in magic was aroused at an early age. However, this interest was brought to a white heat at the age of twelve after viewing his first big mystery show, that of Nicola.
At eighteen, he became a semi- or part-time professional and remained so until 1945 when he became a full-time professional performer, teacher and writer on things magical. He also conducted a School of Magic in Bombay. He had the honor to be chosen to appear in the big Silver Jubillee Show for his late Majesty, King George V. He was also the first magician to do magic over the radio in India, 1933. He has made over 30 broadcasts from the All India Radio stations in Calcutta, Bombay and Lucknow.
Working under the name Eddie Jason, he played exclusive club and party dates in and around Calcutta and Bombay. He had worked out an act in which he used no apparatus except ordinary and borrowed objects. He also did a miraculous mental act assisted by his wife, Sarah. This two person act was recognized as one of the fastest ever seen.
For many years, Eddie was the Indian Representative of the I.B.M. and he was active in the Society of Indian Magicians. During World War II, Eddie was summoned to Headquarters and drafted to do a turn in a mammoth revue for the entertainment of British and American servicemen. He and his wife traveled all over India for the balance of the war.
Eddie Joseph's first contribution to The Linking Ring was in the September, 1927 issue.
The IBM Ring in Bombay, India is known as the Eddie Joseph Ring.
Eddie Joseph passed away in England in June, 1974.
- A Practical Lesson in Cups and Balls (1936)
- Advanced Lessons in Cups and Balls (1938)
- Strictly Magic (1939)
- How to Pick Pockets (1940)
- Magic and Mysteries of India (1941)
- Last Word On Cups and Balls (1942)
- Coin and Money Magic (1942)
- Come, Good Spirits (1948)
- My Favorite Routine with Cups and Balls (1949)
- The Art of Body Loading and Productions (1950)
- Card Bonanza (1950)
- Dumbfounders with Cards (1950)
- More Dumbfounders with Cards (1951)
- The Hindu Cups (1956)
- The Manual of the 3 Shell Game (1959)
- The Art of Eddie Joseph (1969)
- Eddie Joseph on Cups and Balls (1984)
- Joseph's The Complete Dumbfounders (2004) by Paul Gordon & Natzler Enterprises
- ↑ The Linking Ring, Vol. 64, EDDIE JOSEPH MEMORIAL, edited by PHIL W1LLMARTH, September, 1984 - p.71