The Egyptian Hall in Piccadilly, London was originally commissioned by William Bullock as a museum to house his collection (which included curiosities brought back from the South Seas by Captain Cook). It was one of the first buildings in England to be influenced by the Egyptian style, inspired by the growth of awareness in Europe of the various temples on the Nile, the Pyramids and the Sphinx. The Hall was completed in 1812 at a cost of £16,000. The museum was variously referred to as the London Museum, the Egyptian Hall or Museum, or Bullock's Museum.
By the end of the 19th century, the Hall was also associated with magic and spiritualism as a number of performers had hired it for shows. It was also the venue chosen for the showing of some of the first ever films (or animated photographs) to be shown. The hall was used principally for popular entertainments and lectures.
Later, when the hall came under the control of the Maskelyne family, it soon grew famous as England's Home of Mystery. All sorts of clever illusions were staged including the exposition of fraudulent spiritualistic manifestations then being practiced by various charlatans who were imposing on a credulous public.
When in 1903 the hall was demolished to make room for blocks of flats and offices block at 170–173 Piccadilly was built on the site , Maskelynes transferred their entertainment to the St. George's Hall, Langharn Place - now known as Maskelyne's Theatre.
Some of the magicians that performed at the Egyptian Hall were:
| This page incorporated content from Egyptian Hall,
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License