|Born||John C. Wagner|
|Died||August 15, 2010 (age 67) |
|Resting place||burial at sea|
|Categories||Books by J.C. Wagner|
John Wagner was a professional close-up and bartender magician.
Wagner got hooked on magic after seeing a magician perform at his school Halloween carnival and started practicing magic in 1952. He made his professional debut at the Point Loma library in San Diego in 1960.
By 1962, he was working at Merlin's Magic Shop within Disneyland (with Steve Martin).
Wagner served in the Air Force from 1965 until 1969.
He first started performing bar magic in 1973 with Bob Sheets at Marco's Roman Room in Coronado, California.
Wagner was co-owner of The Magic Lounge in San Diego California (1977 - 1981) until he was invited back to the Magic Island in Newport Beach, California (where he eventually became a director).
He helped Bob Sheets start the "Jolly Jester" in Aspen, Colorado.
In 1985, Wagner started appearing weekly at the Magic Castle Close-Up Gallery. He semi-retired in 1990 after an appearance at the Magic Castle.
Wagner started a comeback in 2003 with another appearance at the Magic Castle as well as performing magic Saturdays at "The Little Club" in Coronado California.
- Factory Misprints (packet trick, 1973)
- Seven Secrets (1978)
- Gypsy Curse Variation (packet trick, 1978?)
- A Few More Secrets (1981)
- The Commercial Magic of J.C. Wagner written by Mike Maxwell (1987)
- J.C. WAGNER LECTURE NOTES - MacMillan International Magic Convention (2003)
- The Life and Times of the Incomparable J. C. Wagner (interview by Syd Segal), Genii 2010 April