|Line 1:||Line 1:|
'''Jack Merlin'''born James (or John) William Myers (or Meyers).<ref>Ask the Doctor, MUM, JANUARY, 1985</ref>
| image =
| image =
Revision as of 13:49, 21 March 2012
|Born||John William Myers|
Schenectady, New York
|Died||December 28, 1943 (age 57) |
|Resting place||Marion National Cemetery|
He originally teamed up with Frank Nightingale from upstate New York to do magic shows as Nightingale and Merlin. It was Frank who suggested that his friend use the stage name of "Jack Merlin". Myers later legally changed his name to Merlin and became a famous vaudeville act.
In fall of 1908, Merlin left his partnership with Nightingale for England with the object of establishing himself as a professional magician. Within two years he was a vaudeville headliner.
After returning to the United States in 1911 for more success, he made a trip to Australia in 1916, where he played the leading vaudeville houses there.
During World War I, he enlisted in the U.S. Cavalry in San Fransisco, California making the rank of Lieutenant by the wars end.
Jack lived for awhile in Indianapolis. His wife assisted him in the act in the manner of a spectator (picking cards and showing them to the audience).
His last known appearance was in 1934 at the Biltmore Bowl in Los Angeles.
A patient in a government hospital in Marion, Indiana for a number of years, Myers died of a heart ailment there.
- MERLIN, JOHN WILLIAM
- 2LT US ARMY
- WORLD WAR I
- DATE OF DEATH: 12/28/1943
- BURIED AT: SECTION 5 SITE 3328
- "To me practice is something I cannot resist. I practice because I enjoy it. When I force myself to do it, I accomplish nothing."
- ...And a Pack of Cards (1927)
- ↑ Ask the Doctor, MUM, JANUARY, 1985
- ↑ Magic A Pictorial History History of Conjurers in the Theater by David Price (1985)
- ↑ Genii 1966 March, Vol 30, No. 7, page 294 - Intermission by Charlie Miller
- ↑ World's Fair, August 15, 1963
- ↑ Millbrook Round Table, January 14, 1944
- ↑ http://www.cem.va.gov/CEM/cems/nchp/marion.asp
- ↑ http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1