| This page incorporated content from Jay Marshall (magician),
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
According to the Chicago Tribune, his interest in magic started when he was six. Marshall failed to graduate from Bluefield College in West Virginia and went on to be a professional magician instead.
During World War II, Marshall was "island hopping" in the Pacific to entertain military personnel in USO shows. He became tired of taking his elaborate ventriloquist's dummy called Henry with him, so he decided to use a white glove and some bunny ears to turn his left hand into his dummy, "Lefty".
In the 1950s, Marshall moved to Chicago and married fellow magician Frances Ireland. Together they opened a magic shop in 1963 called Magic, Inc. on Lincoln Avenue on Chicago's North Side. Marshall was also a historian of stage magic and wrote several books about it. However, his own acts focused more on card magic and sleight of hand which he often combined with ventriloquism.
For five years in the 1950's, he edited New Phoenix.
He died at the Swedish Covenant Hospital in Chicago after a series of heart attacks.