|Born||November 3, 1920|
near Leeds, England
|Died||February 26, 1983 (age 62) |
Magician Ken Brooke (1920 - 1983) was a magic dealer, a skilled demonstrator and a magical consultant.
Although his public recognition was not great, Ken Brooke had a profound influence on the greats of the UK magic scene, the likes of David Nixon, Tommy Cooper, Paul Daniels, David Berglas, Geoffrey Durham, and Wayne Dobson.British magician and magic dealer does not do him justice. Ken Brooke wasn't just another magic dealer. When he sold someone an effect, many times it included his own instructions sheets, which reflected the real experiences of a performer who not only cared about how the tricks should be performed, but who also cared enough to provide information on the proper performance to those who bought his products.
Even for those who do not do particular effects that were sold by Ken Brooke, reading these instructions sheets provided real lessons in magic.
Invented a version of "Chase the Ace" (1955), "Fido" (a card trick), "Squircle"(1952), and may have invented "Professor Cheer's Comedy Rope" (at least he was the first magician on record who performed the trick at Glasgow, Scotland).
Books and Videos
- Ken Brooke's Magic: The Unique Years (1980)
- Ken Brooke Series (with Paul Stone) 1981 to 1984
- A Lifetime of Joy (1982)
- Ken Brooke and Friends (1986)
- Ken Brooke's Magic Place (1994)
- Visions of Ken Brooke (DVD)  
- ↑ Genii, Vol. 72, No. 9, September 2009, Light from the Lamp, Videos Reviewed by Dustin Stinett, Visions of Ken Brooke, page 86
- ↑ http://www.lybrary.com/ken-brooke-m-16421.html
| This page incorporated content from Ken Brooke,
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
- Bio-bibliographisches Lexikon der Zauberkünstler, April 2002, Brooke, Ken = Paul Kelvin, page 55
- Cover Genii, Vol. 33, No. 11, July 1969, OUR COVER - A Visit With Ken Brooke, by Carl Appleby, page 440
- M-U-M, Vol. 69, No. 2, July 1979, Ken Broke - magician-of-the-month by John Fisher, page 9
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 61, No. 4, April 1981, Memoirs Of A Magician's Ghost, The Autobiography of John Booth, THAUMATURGICAL REPOSITORIES BY THE THAMES, page 53
- Magische Welt, Vol. 32, No. 3, Mai/Juni 1983, Ken Brooke by Ted Lesley, page 153
- The Magic Circular, Vol. 95, No. 1018, May 2001, The Most Influential Man in British Magic? KEN BROOKE by John Fisher, page 156, A TRIBUTE TO KEN BROOKE by Janet Clare, page 158
- http://www.mzleipzig.de/hokus-art/html/personen/brooke-ken.htm, BROOKE KEN