A page dedicated to discussing and directing the development of MagicPedia. As MagicPedia grows, managing the structure and delivery of content will become more and more important. As a community it is important to use this space to point out organization flaws or suggestions to the rest of the community.
Use this space as a forum only limited to MagicPedia, as items become fixed and repaired, place a strike-out line on those comments instead of deleting.
Use this page by creating a head for each topic and commenting as a sub-topic, for example: ''==Discussion Point=='' ===Response=== (Signature)
- 1 Add New Topic Here
- 2 Books by Year Category
- 3 Main page name for a Biography
- 4 References
- 5 MagicPedia vs. Wikipedia
- 6 Editor/Organizer Needed
- 7 Compiled Biographies
- 8 Needed Pages, Needed Categories
- 9 Amazon.com template
- 10 Upload KML files?
- 11 Genii Forum topic?
- 12 MediaWiki Software Updated to 1.14 (May 1, 2009)
Add New Topic Here
Books by Year Category
Right now we have books by decades Category:Books published in the 1980s, Category:Books published in the 1990s, etc. and they are getting up to 100 books in each. After 200, the category page starts to break them up. Do you think it's time to start a Category for each specific year (e.g Category:Books published in 1981)? Joe 20:44, 1 May 2009 (UTC)
Yes, it would be better. How to link the year inside category:Books published in the XXXX's ?
- Just add it. I'll do a couple to show you.
Main page name for a Biography
Brad, can you add the MediaWiki Cite Exentions?
Cite Extension Added! (Brad, 09/16/2008)
You can see directions for use on MediaWiki
- Warning! The Cite Extension doesn't work properly, so avoid using it for now --TStone 20:48, 17 February 2009 (EST)
- If you want to manually add footnotes, you can use the html superscript command <sup>1</sup> to get1. Joe 20:53, 17 February 2009 (EST)
Cite Extension now works!!!! MagicPedia has been upgraded. Thanks Brad! Joe 18:56, 1 May 2009 (UTC)
MagicPedia vs. Wikipedia
I just wanted to give my thoughts on the differences between MagicPedia and Wikipeida. I believe difference is in the audience. Magic articles in Wikipedia are articles by laymen for laymen whereas MagicPedia is by magicians for magicians. Jpecore 14:59, 16 July 2008 (EDT)
I am trying my best to add information and keep it organized, but I don't always understand the process of linking and organizing categories and sub-categories. It would be very helpful if someone more knowledgeable in wiki-speak than I am might act as a resource to answer questions about how to link or organize topics, or perhaps review additions from time to time and edit them. Right now, this project is small and simple but soon it will become very large and complex, and now is the time to organize the way it should grow. Spellbinder 12-15-07
- I'm pretty good with wiki. I also follow the "Recent Changes". If you need any help just let me know. You can always put something in the "discussion" page of the article you have in question or in my user talk page. I've been trying to use the wiki Help:Categories as much as possible, since they automatically create lists for you like Category:Biographies Jpecore 08:03, 22 December 2007 (EST)
I've been pushing for a stricter code for organization. (Particularly since I set up the wiki. It's my hope that this place and additions to the MagicPedia help section will point the way toward better organization. I guess I personally default to following style established by WikiPedia. Bradmagic 21:27 25 December 2007 (PST)
It has come to attention that some biographies are being divided into multiple pages. For example, Paul Harris had a biography page and had two linked pages, Paul Harris Tricks and Paul Harris Books. Correct style should hold those minor pages into the overall Paul Harris biography page.
October 25, 2007: Issue discussed, resolved. Pages can be separate, but at least well interlinked. (bradmagic/10.23.2007)
Needed Pages, Needed Categories
Is anyone working on an Amazon.com template that will link to books by isbn number, but also use the genii id so that genii will get credit for the sale?
- Not a direct link (and it doesn't use genii id, but if you just put "ISBN" followed by the isbn-number then MagicPedia automatically create a link to a page for doing lookups. See Erdnase for example.
Upload KML files?
Is there anyway to modify the upload files tool to allow for us to upload KML (google maps) files? Jpecore 15:44, 20 December 2007 (EST)
Genii Forum topic?
Would it be useful to also have a Genii Forum top on WikiPedia to promote specific pages and to request help?
MediaWiki Software Updated to 1.14 (May 1, 2009)
We just updated the wiki software. There may be a few bugs here and there for the next few days. What's great about the update is a) it will fix some of the problems we've been having and b) better extensions! bradmagic 10:1-, 1 May 2009 (PST)