Magician's Guild of America

From MagicPedia, the free online encyclopedia for magicians by magicians.
Revision as of 19:44, 25 May 2012 by Jpecore (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
See also: Magicians' Guild of America formed in Colon, Michigan in 1938.

The Magician's Guild of America was formed in New York City around 1943 as a professional magicians society with the slogan: "For good entertainment, demand a Magician".

Al Baker was one of the founders and they allowed only fifteen percent of the members to be amateurs (starting with 15 out of the 100 expected initial members). Meetings were held at the Hotel McAlpin in New York City and The Board of Governors consisted of Theo. Hardeen, Max Holden, Robert Sherman, Richard DuBois and Julien J. Proskauer. Walter B. Gibson was the first vice-president.

One of the first goals of the Guild was to bring live magic shows to Broadway, which was realized on January 21, 1945 with "Mystery Time" at the Bealsco Theatre. The show included Cardini, Hardeen, Al Flosso, Litzka (Great Raymond's wife) and others. The Great Raymond got sick a few hours before show time and was replaced by Doug Geoffrey (Hardeen Junior), Warren Simms, Hal Haviland, and Jarrow.

The Guild was one of the first groups to introduce regular magic lectures.

Along with their own "Monthly Guild Bulletin", the Conjurors' Magazine was the named the official organ for the group from 1945 until it merged with Genii in 1949. Magician's Guild News Reports could be seen in Genii during the 1966 through 1973. And in 1981, they selected Legerdemain as their new official publication.

Harry Blackstone and Warren Simms were elected as "Deans".

Presidents (not in order)

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Interaction
Support our sponsor
Share
Print/export
Toolbox