Magicpedia:Selected anniversaries/October 17
From Magicpedia, the free online encyclopedia for magicians by magicians.
- 1813 - Alfred Sylvester, known as the Fakir of Oolu is born.
- 1831 - Hugh Washington Simmons, known as Dr. Lynn is born.
- 1880 - Hereward Carrington, investigator of psychic phenomena, is born.
- 1896 - Stephen de Soboll, known as Dr. Z is born.
- 1917 - Houdini persuades Kellar to come to New York to star in a benefit sponsored by the Society of American Magicians for American casualties of the war. Kellar is carried off the stage by Houdini and other members to the orchestra playing Auld Lang Syne, The six thousand members of the audience stand and sang along.
- 1997 - Larry Jennings, known for his close-up card techniques, dies.