Merlin Magical Society
Merlin Magical Society was a Magic Organization formed in 1930 for magicians living north of London, England and is still going strong in 2008. It was proposed originally that the society be called, "The East Herts & North Middlesex Magical Society", but members felt that was too long.
Members have been competing annually since 1930 for the Clifford Morrow Cup, given for the best original effect or an adaptation of an old effect. This competition is judged by a guest magician.
The Harry Kaye Cup is given for the best eight minute act, originally judged by two lay members of the public & one magician, but more recently by four members of the public. First held in 1939 and then as an annual event after the war in starting in 1948.
The fist General Meeting of the society took place at The Priest's House, Broxbourne on Thursday, 13th February, 1930. The following were present: Harry Kaye, H. V. Dawes, Charles Baker, Charles Pearson, S. G. Dawes and Charles Campkin.
Other founder members were Albert Holt, Arthur Colville, Morris Crossland, Colin Donister and Frank Boynett.
George Davenport and Edward Love were both members in 1931.
The club's venue has always been in and around the Enfield area
The Society has three annual competitions: the Harry Kaye cup for the most entertaining act; the Clifford Morrow cup for the most original trick many of which have been marketed by dealers; and the Close-Up-Magic Competition.
During the war years the Society was unable to operate and in 1945 Frank Boynett was responsible for resuscitating it on January 25, 1946.
Many well known magicians have taken part as guest artistes in our annual shows, e.g. Ned Williams (Robert Harbin), Herbert Collings (Col Ling Soo), Edward Victor (President for 24 years), Billy O'Connor, Francis White, The Zomahs, George Braund and Percy Press.