Richard Sanders is an innovative magician and lecturer from Montreal, Canada. He first came to the attention of the international magic community through his collaborational work with Jay Sankey, a sampling of which appeared in Sankey Pankey (Kaufman, 1986). One year later, Ben Harris released an entire book of their collaborations, called When Creators Collide (Sankey/Sanders, 1987).
In 1989, Sanders formed a comedy magic trio called The Running Gags with fellow magicians David Acer and Barry Julien. The group performed original, unusual, and highly interactive magic at comedy clubs and colleges, but disbanded a year later when Sanders moved to Toronto.
In 1998, after years of honing his craft at corporate shows, trade shows, and on cruise ships, Sanders released a ten-trick booklet through the Camirand Academy of Magic called Close-Up Assassin, written by David Acer. The booklet was packaged with a performance-only companion video and is now considered a collector's item. Other popular one-trick releases through the Academy followed—On Foot, Picture This and Three Ropes and a Baby—but more recently, Sanders has begun to produce and market his own material, which includes Slow Burn, Interlace, Visi-Bill, Fiber Optics, and the three-volume DVD set, The Richard Sanders Show. In 2002, Sanders also renewed his collaborational efforts with Jay Sankey, resulting in the two-volume DVD set, The Sankey/Sanders Sessions.
Miscellaneous Sanders material has also appeared in Genii Magazine, MAGIC, New Directions, The Magical Arts Journal, The Magic Menu, 100% Sankey, John Lovick's monumental book, Switch, and in two of David Acer’s books—Natural Selections (1996) and Random Acts of Magic (2004). One of his more recent innovations, a striking bill-change called Extreme Burn, was performed by David Blaine on ABC television ("Dive of Death," September, 2008).
Sanders has also performed at The Magic Castle, lectured at F.I.S.M., and appeared many times on Canadian television, including performances on CBC’s The Magic of Canada (1995) and Global’s Urban Magic (2000).
Marketed Tricks by Richard Sanders
- Powerball 60 (Bill Abbott & Richard Sanders) (2009)
- Identity (Sanders FX, 2009)
- Tagged (Cameron Owen & Richard Sanders) (Sanders FX, 2008)
- Extreme Burn (Sanders FX, 2008) (performed by David Blaine on "Dive of Death" special, ABC, September 24th, 2008)
- Any Ring (Sanders FX, 2007)
- Interlace (Sanders FX, 2007) (performed by Chris Reid on VH1's "CelebraCadabra")
- Ten (Sanders FX, 2007)
- Alpha Deck (Sanders FX, 2005)
- Fiber Optics (Sanders FX, 2003)
- Visi-Bill (Sanders FX, 2003)
- Slow Burn (Sanders FX, 2003)
- Three Ropes and a Baby (Camirand Academy, 1996)
- Picture This (Camirand Academy, 1996)
- On Foot (with Patrick Reymond) (Camirand Academy, 1994)
Lecture DVDs by Richard Sanders
- (2005) The Richard Sanders Show (3 Volume DVD Set)
- (2003) The Sankey/Sanders Sessions (with Jay Sankey)
- (2002) Roadkillers (with David Acer) (only released on VHS)
Books on the Magic of Richard Sanders
- (1998) Close-Up Assassin (by David Acer) (Camirand Academy of Magic)
- (1987) When Creators Collide (with Jay Sankey) (Ben Harris Magic, 1987)
Books with Contributions by Richard Sanders
- (2005) Random Acts of Magic (by David Acer) - "Unlawful Entry," "Time Boards," "Splittant" and "Pocket Exchange," all with David Acer, plus solo contributions "Ringworm" and "Plop!"
- (1996) Natural Selections (by David Acer) - "Four on the Floor," "Richie's Double Bill Switch" and "The Body Swap" (all with David Acer)
- (1994) Fulminations Plus, Vol. I (by Gary Ouellet) - "The Body Swap" (with David Acer)
- (1986) Sankey Panky (by Richard Kaufman) - "Memory Ink," "Squiggle," and "The Red Prediction" (all with Jay Sankey)
Richard Sanders in Genii
- Genii 1991 July Richie's Double Bill Switch
- Genii 1992 June Restaurant Magic - "Richie's Little Stickman"
- August, 2002 Magicana - "Splittant" (with David Acer)
- June, 2005 Magicana- "Pile of Change"
- September, 2009 Magicana - "The Twinkle Change"
Richard Sanders in Other Magic Magazines
- MAGIC, April 2002 - "Acer and Sanders on The Rub-Away Vanish"
- The Magic Menu, Nov/Dec 1996 - "Four Ace Me Not"
- The Magical Arts Journal, May 1987 - "Trick Photography"