Tenkai (1889-1972) was born Teijiro Ishida in Japan. Tenkai's wife and partner Iwa Kato which performed under the name Okinu.
Cover of Genii 1958 March
December 1, 1889
|Died||June 6, 1972 (age 82) |
Tenkai lived for some time in Chicago.
Tenkai, a resident of Los Angeles at the time, was performing in Honolulu when Japan bombed pearl harbor during World War II. He was not permitted to leave Hawaii.
In the 1958, he moved back to Japan.
Received a special Fellowship from the Academy of Magical Arts in 1971.
- Bio-bibliographisches Lexikon der Zauberkünstler Edition Volker Huber, April 2002, Tenkai d.i. Ishida, Sadajiro, page 302
- Cover Genii 1958 March
- Genii, Vol. 36, No. 6, June 1972, Obituary - Tenkai, page 284
- The New Tops, Vol. 12, No. 7, July 1972, Final Curtain, page 5
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 52, No. 8, August 1972, page 80
- M-U-M, Vol. 62, No. 4, September 1972, BROKEN WANDS, page 6
- Genii, Vol. 57, No. 9, July 1994, Japanese Conjuring, An Overview by Max Maven, page 581