U.F. Grant (January 12, 1901- March 1, 1978) born Ulysses Frederick Grant in Millerton, New York. Known as "Gen", he was a magic dealer and inventor. Grant started in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, where he created his first tricks. Later he moved to New York City joining the Abbott Magic & Novelty Co., eventually settled in Columbus, Ohio creating his own firm.
|Born||January 12 1901|
Millerton, New York
|Died||March 01, 1978 (age 77) |
|Categories||Books by U.F. Grant|
In 1944, he partnered with R.N. Menge creating a line of products known as "Grant and Menge" or "G. & M.". The partnership only lasted a year and they ended up becoming rivals.
He created a long line of pamphlet-type magic booklets, which were often affectionately joked about by magicians for their brevity. Don Tanner wrote directions for and illustrated many of the items marketed by the Grant company.
"MAK Magic" still manufactures many of his items which is run by his daughter Mary Ann King and grandson Jimmy P. King.
- Temple Screen
- Cow Trick
- Chink Cans
- Cheek to Cheek (1948)
- Bengal Net Illusion (1954)
- Super Magical Secrets (1928)
- 25 Tricks and Ideas, Part One (1931)
- Grant's Counterfeit Card Miracles (1931)
- 25 Tricks and Ideas, Part Two (1932)
- Illusion Secrets - Fifteen Great Illusions (1934)
- 25 Rising Card Tricks (1935)
- Grant's Annual of Magic (1935) reprint as Grant's Manual of Magic in 1964
- Tricks with Magnets (1935) reprint in 1940.
- 100 Tips & Gags (1936)
- 100 More Tips and Gags (1937)
- 50 Kute Koin Tricks (1940)
- 50 Crazy Card Stunts (1940)
- Paper Magic (1941)
- Six Modern Levitations (1943)
- Grant's Secrets (1943)
- Grant's Volume One (1944)
- 25 Telephone Card Tricks (1945)
- C.L.I.P. (Clever Little Ideas Presented) (1947)
- Valuable Informations for Magician (1949)
- 15 Pick-Pocket Stunts for Magicians (1952)
- Window Stoppers (1953) and enlarged edition in 1959
- Grant's Fabulous Feats of Mental Magic by Don Tanner (1954)
- Victory Carton Illusions (1955)
- Center Tear Methods (1962)
- Bodies in Orbit (1963)
- Grant's Manual of Magic (1964)