|Born||Victor Andreas Nicolaus Robert Jamnitzky|
September 22, 1922
Uschhorod Hungary, formerly Ungvár
|Died||January 1, 2011 (age 88) |
|Resting place||Lutherischer Friedhof in Wuppertal, Germany|
V.J. Astor (1922-2011) became interested in magic at an age of eight. His mother supported his interest but his father insisted he would become a doctor. In 1941 he started studying medicine. In that time he earned his living at a theatre. Soon he terminated studying to become a magician but was banned because of missing authorization. After examination he received allowance. By the end of 1941 he got engagements at the Berliner Wintergarten and at the Scala using the name "Nicoletty."
In 1944 he was called up to the army. In the war he was taken prisoner by the Russian but had the chance to escape. Back in Hungary he started a large illusion show employing thirty persons. The show was nationalized and the properties confiscate. The communist regime restricting him to appear in Hungary and other Socialist states.
Starting in 1950, he began to use the stage name "Astor."
Astor founded a magician school in Budapest, started writing, and attended a drama school. After suppression of the Hungary revolt in 1956 he was allowed to appear as variety artist again.
After a performance in Germany he took the opportunity to emigrate together with his wife and assistant Marika. In 1970 he started a magic shop in Wuppertal Langerfeld, Germany. Between 1971 and 1993 he sent out the catalog "Laterna Magica" which contained a series about magic theory and technique. After 22 years of dealership he closed his shop and reduced his involvement to writing manuscripts. He frequently wrote manuscripts in Abra, Magie (Magischer Zirkel v. Deutschland) and Magische Welt.
In 2000 Astor was awarded "Writer of the Year" for his presentations [by whom?].
Astor died in 2011 after a short stay at a hospital in Wuppertal.
Books and Videos
- Astor's Lehrgang der Magie
- Die Magische Praesentation: Schauspielkunst und Regie fuer Zauberkuenstler
- Das Buch mit den sieben Siegeln
- Verdammt Guter Zauberkuenstler ... und wie man es wird
- Enthuellte Wunder
- Das Superhirn
- Das System der Magie
- The Astor Lecture Live at FFFF 2008 - DVD
- Astor's Top Secrets (Sealed Miracle #4) by Astor - Booklet
- Bio-bibliographisches Lexikon der Zauberkünstler Edition Volker Huber, April 2002, page 150
- Wittus Witts magischewelt, Vol. 60, No. 1, Januar/Februar 20011, In Memoriam, Spuren Hinterlassen, page 31
- Obit, http://www.zauberzentrale.de/forum/szene/news/index.php