Buzz Saw Illusion
From Magicpedia, the free online encyclopedia for magicians by magicians.
THIS PAGE IS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
- The Buzz Saw (also Buzzsaw) is a Stage Illusion and consists of a large apparatus. It involves, at the very least, a magician and one assistant. It lies in the same family as the Sawing a Women in Half Illusion, however the effect varies mainly in the cutting of a person lengthwise, rather then across the waist. The cutting of the person is normally done without any covering
- The illusion uses a piece of equipment that resembles a log cutter used at lumberyards. The Buzz Saw utilizes a circular blade. First, the saw may be proven genuine by showing it cutting an object of some sort, possibly a piece of wood. Then a table with wheels, hooked up to some kind of pulling mechanism, is slid under the saw, showing that the saw blade is only inches away from the table. While an assistant lays on the table, secured by bands or rope, the saw is turned on and the table is slowly pulled under the saw, supposedly severing the body of the person upon it. Afterwards the saw is turned off and the assistant is shown unharmed.
- The illusion has many variations. The Buzz Saw Illusion may also refer to any illusion using a cirrcular saw for cutting a person in half. In some variations sound effects are used, in others, blood and gore are spilled everywhere. The mechanism for pulling the table under the saw can be machine driven or hand cranked. Sometimes a piece of wood or other object is placed on the table, along with the assistant, to prove that the saw cutting actually took place.
- Aldo Richiardi (Richiardi Jr.)
- Using his daughter as an assinstant he performed a particularly gruesome version of this illusion.Blood and gore fly out of her body and the saw is suddenly turned off mid-illusion. The audience is then given the oppurtunity to examine the girl. Finally, the illusion is finished and the girl in shown to be unhurt.