Cover of Genii (1938)
|Born||Caryl Stacy Fleming|
October 13, 1890
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
|Died||September 02, 1940 (age 49) |
|Resting place||Hollywood Forever Cemetery|
In 1917, he was employed by Film Craft Corporation in New York City as a motion picture director. Fleming worked as an actor, director, writer and amateur magician in New York and later in Los Angeles.
In 1938, he helped charter the International Brotherhood of Magicians "Hollywood Ring 21" which was later changed to the "Caryl Fleming Ring". He was also a president of the Pacific Coast Association of Magicians and started the International Alliance of Magicians.
He died in Los Angeles while performing a card trick, just one month before his 50th birthday.
After his death a trophy was established for the IBM national convention of originality called the Fleming Perpetual award and held for 1 year. The wooden and lead trophy is currently in the IBM offices and in need of repair.
- ↑ Cover Genii 1936 December
- ↑ Cover Genii 1938 December
- ↑ Cover Genii 1941 September
- ↑ http://www.ibmring21.org/fleminghistory.html
- ↑ Tops Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 11, November 1940, Caryl Fleming, by Lloyd E. Jones, page 10
- The Sphinx, Vol. 39, No. 7, September 1940, Caryl Stacy Fleming Dies, page 168
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 20, No. 8, October 1940, Caryl S. Fleming Passes On, page 587
- Tops Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 10, October 1940, World of Magic Mourns Caryl S. Fleming, page 15