|Born||Gordon Eugene Avery|
October 15, 1903
Albany New York
|Died||September 6, 1994 (age 90) |
Geneva, New York
Gene Gordon (October 15, 1903- September 6, 1994 ) was a school assembly performer (like J.B. Bobo) in the 1920s, magic dealer and founding member of the IBM. Gene came up with the name for the IBM's monthly magazine, The Linking Ring. He invented and marketed many magic effect with his partner Hen Fetsch.
Mr. Gordon started many magic organizations including Wayne Wizards' Association, Iowa Association of Magicians, the Rochester Society of Magicians, Piff Paff Poof with Bob Weill, the Magicians Alliance of Western New York, and was a charter member of the Magic Dealers Association.In the 1930s he worked cruise ships and in 1945 opened Gene Gordon's Magic Shop in downtown Buffalo. He operated it for 25 years until he retired and sold the business to Karl Norman. He produced some of the classic tricks in magic including Bill Paul's Fraidy Cat Rabbit, Hen Fetsch's Mental Epic, Hauger's Bolt of Lighting, Lubor Fiedler's Dam Deception and the Carver's Professor's Nightmare.
In the 1960s, he wrote the monthly column "Patter and Presentation" for Tops magazine.
Awards and honors
- Masters Fellowship from Academy of Magical Arts (1981).
- IBM Ring 12 in Buffalo, New York named the "Gene Gordon" Ring
- Routines by Gene Gordon (2 volumes) (1953 - 1953)
- Gene Gordon's Magical Legacy (1980)
- Who's Who in Magic, Sphinx, November, 1932, page 349
- The Conjurors' Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 4, June 1949, Speaking of Pictures, page 6
- Photo Genii 1952 February
- M-U-M, Vol. 44, No. 10, March 1955, GENE GORDON magician-of-the-month by Leslie P. Guest, page 430
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 38, No. 2, April 1958, "I was a teen-age wizard" says Gene Gordon IBM No. 2, page 35
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 60, No. 5, May 1980, OUR COVER Gene Gordon I.B.M. No. 2, BY PHIL WILLMARTH, page 62, Gordon's Friends Reminisce, page 65, GENE GORDON HOCUS POCUS PARADE, Edited by Phil Willmarth, pages 69-84, THE AMATEUR MAGICIAN by Gene Gordon, page 84
- Genii Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 12, October 1994, Obituaries - Gene Gordon 1903-1994, page 117
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 74, No. 10, October 1994, GORDON EUGENE AVERY (GENE GORDON) 1903-1994, page 56, Broken Wand GORDON EUGENE AVERY, page 116
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 87, No. 8, August 2007, Gene Gordon’s Magical Legacy, page 64, Continued: Vol. 87, No. 9, page 76, No. 10, page 70, No. 11, page 60, No. 12, page 73
- Bio-bibliographisches Lexikon der Zauberkünstler Edition Volker Huber, April 2002, page 27