Hamleys later known as Messrs Hamley Bros was started as "Noah's Ark" toy shop in 1760 by William Hamley.
Dealership originally consisted of Hamley's Magical Saloons, High Holborn, and later the Magical Palace of Wonders, New Oxford street.
Its original Holborn store was called Noah's Ark. Once it moved to 200 Regent Street in 1881, it was known as the Joy Emporium, before finally becoming Hamleys, long after the original Mr Hamley had died.
The firm actually traded as Hamley's (with an apostrophe) until about 1911, when they started to be referred to as Messers Hamley Bros. That lasted until about 1920, when the branding became Messrs Hamleys (without the apostrophe). Soon after, it became just Hamleys.