Cover of Genii (1955)
|Born||Harold Lawrence Martin|
June 12, 1902
|Died||December 24, 1989 (age 87) |
Morton, IL (St. Francis Medical Center)
Harold Martin (1902-1989) was owner Peoria Illinois' first full-time magic store, Martin's Magic Shop.
He first had a small magic shop in his home and later had a two-story home with large magic shop on the ground floor in Peoria.
Knowledgeable in the art of magic, including sleight of hand and stage size illusions, Martin would time to time lecture and perform before many magic clubs around the country. He attended numerous of magic conventions for over his half century as a magic dealer.
Martin was a lifetime member of the Magic Castle and had donated numerous items to it. He also served as President of the Magic Dealers Association and also in several official capacities with the I.B.M. and S.A.M.
He died, at the age of 87, on Christmas Eve at St. Francis Medical Center where he was taken after a self-inflicted gun-shot wound at his home.
The IBM Ring No. 48, in Peoria was named in his honor, the Harold Martin Ring.
- ↑ Cover, Genii Magazine, Vol. 19, No. 2, August 1955, Our Cover, Harold L. Martin of Peoria Ill, by C. Verne Bloch, page 420
- ↑ Genii Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 4, October 1989, Obituaries, Harold L. Martin, page 271
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 43, No. 11, November 1963, Harold L. Martin, President, MDA, by C. Verne Bloch, page 30
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 48. No. 1, January 1968, Harold Martin Testimonial, by J. Gary Bontjes, page 30
- Cover, M-U-M, Vol. 57, No. 9, February 1968, Harold Martin, magician-of-the-month, by C. Verne Bloch, page 6; Harold Martin Testimonial, by J. Gary Bontjes, page 22
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 70, No. 3, March 1990, Broken Wand, Harold L. Martin, page 111