|Born||Herbert G. Zarrow|
November 04, 1925
Paterson, New Jersey
|Died||May 11, 2008 (age 82) |
|Resting place||Cedar Park Cemetery, Paramus, New Jersey|
|Known for||Zarrow Shuffle|
Herb Zarrow (1925-2008) was an American magician, who was influential in the profession for his inventions of unique sleight of hand and card tricks. Best known for his Zarrow Shuffle, his skills are held in the highest regard in professional magicians' circles. A large book about him was published in 2008 and written by David Ben, titled Zarrow: A Lifetime of Magic.
He is most noted for his Zarrow Shuffle which he originally called "Full Deck False Shuffle" around 1940 and eventually published it in 1957 in Phoenix magazine. This sleight has been called one of the best card discoveries of the 20th century. Persi Diaconis in his introduction to Dai Vernon's Revelations wrote: "Zarrow's shuffle may very well be the single most important practical card move invented since Erdnase." The Shuffle and it's history were the cover story of the Genii 2008 February issue.
He created: Herb Zarrow's Switch Change (in Tarbell Seven), Herb Zarrow's Trapeze, Herb Zarrow Retention Pass, Zarrow Block Addition, Starfish Copper/Silver (in CoinMagic by Richard Kaufman), Matched Revolvers, Universal Count Grip (which appeared in the September 1995 issue of M-U-M) and Zarrow's Revolving Aces. It is believed that Mr. Zarrow was also the first to create a Double and Multiple Buckle.
Zarrow appeared on the April, 2001 cover of The Linking Ring after being honored at the 2001 annual Fechter's Finger Flicking Frolic convention for a lifetime of contributions and achievements. 
- Swindle Mate - Epilogue - July 1974.
- Matched Revolvers - Linking Ring July 1977
- Swivel Round-About - Apocalypse June 1980
- Starfish Copper/Silver - CoinMagic by Richard Kaufman (1981)
- Universal Count Grip - M-U-M September 1995
Honors and Awards
- Member Of The Inner Magic Circle
- 1998 Louie Award
- Honorary Life Member of the Society of American Magicians
- Cover of M-U-M
- Academy of Magical Arts: Creative Fellowship Award
- The Magic Castle: Honorary Life Member
- 2001 Guest Of Honor at Fechter's Finger Flicking Frolic
- Cover of The Linking Ring (April 2001)
- ↑ http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=165335
- ↑ http://www.magictimes.com/archives/2001/2001-04-25-spotlight.htm
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarrow_shuffle
- ↑ Obit Genii 2008 July
- ↑ Obit Herald News on May 13, 2008 
| This page incorporated content from Herb Zarrow,
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License