From Magicpedia, the free online encyclopedia for magicians by magicians.
Revision as of 17:06, 27 January 2010 by Jpecore
Hocus Pocus (The Magician's Magazine) was a bi-monthly Magic Periodical edited by Dick Brooks of the Magic Towne House in New York City that ran from Vol. 1, Jul/Aug. 1978 to Vol. 3, Apr/Jul 1982.
The first issue claimed to be the largest first issue of a magic magazine published at the time with 7,150 copies. There were a total 18 issues.
In 1981 they planned a semi-annual Hocus Pocus Awards Convention. The first awards were:
- Grand Master of Magic: James Randi
- Comedy: George Schindler
- Entertainer: Tom Ogden
- Unique Presentation: Bob Little and Dovino
- Mentalism: Donovon (Gary Lee Williams)
- Coins: William McQueen
- Lecture of the year: Harry Blackstone Jr.
- Vol. 1, No. 1: Frank Garcia (interview), The Baffled Burglars by Walter B. Gibson, Painter's Packet by Phil Goldstein, One Coin Through Table by Iman, Paul Harris, The magic of Tom and Sherrie, Ribbon of the Orient by George Schindler, The Quarter Crimp - 63 pages.
- Vol. 1, No. 2: Doug Henning, Colorjump by Phil Goldstein, Close-Up Silk Routine by Iman , Top Spots by Sam Schwartz, Slydini, Dorthy Dietrich on doves, Billet Bamboozle by Brooks, Smart Coin Trick from Chap's Scrapbook
- Vol. 1, No. 3:Professor Miller and Satan, David Roth, Close-up Silk Routing by Imam, Guest Stars by Phil Goldstein, Dorthy Dietrich, Two Coin Click Pass by Dick Brooks, Ray Fisher on chop cups, Suspended Water by Mitchell Dyszel, Easy Card to Wallet by Terry Morgan
- Vol. 1, No. 4: Blackstone, Four Coin Routine by Inman, Incisions by Phil Goldstein, New Deal Twenty Card Trick by Walter B. Gibson, I Read Your Mind by Mitch Dyszel, Mentalist's Dream by Bob Baker
- Vol. 1, No. 5: Dietrich on Doves 111, Tom Ogden, Phil Goldstein, Ronnay, Richiardi, Imam
- Vol. 1, No. 6: Russell Swann, Phil Goldstein (and Max Maven), Ray Fisher, Joel Siegel, 3 Card monte, Tony Spina, Frank Garcia.
- Vol. 2, No. 4: Tonny Hassini, The unbelievable Card trick, the Miraculous beads,
- Vol. 2. No. 6: Dorothy Dietrich, Phil Godstein's "Bi-Plain", Roy Benson's Ball and Bowl Routine, Card in Balloon by Angelos Lambis, The Case of the Innocent AcCEssories by Bud Thomas
- Vol. 3, No. 1: Awards Issue, Blackstone, Randi, Schindler, Tom Ogden, Bob Little, McQeueen, Interview with Walter B. Gibson, Cards and Coins 'a loa' Cups and Balls by Ray Mertz, Five As Five by Jose DeLa Torre, Wild Predictions by Jose DeLa Torre