|Born||Roger Willis Klause|
March 19, 1938
|Died||August 30, 2008 (age 70) |
Borger, Hutchinson County, Texas
Roger Klause (March 19, 1938 - August 30, 2008) was a respected performer and instructor.
BiographyHe has long been known as "The Leader of the Underground," a title bestowed upon him by Michael Skinner during a lecture in Wichita, Kansas, as Roger was the quintessential "session magician," sitting in private sessions with magicians from all walks of life.
Starting his serious study of magic at 19, and by his mid 20s, he was known to the top magicians in the field. Roger met his wife Wanda in 1952 in high school and were married Aug. 20, 1955 in Clayton, New Mexico. By the time he was 30, he had developed and earned the reputation as a top sleight of hand artist. Into his 40s, Roger was lecturing and teaching many of the finest magicians around the world.
Roger was 70 years old when he died after a long bout with cancer. He was survived by his wife Wanda, his son Kevin, two daughters, Shari and Keri; two brothers, Richard and Mike Klause; eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his son Roger, his brother William "Billy" and sister Diane.
The Roger Klause in Concert book written by Lance Pierce (1991) contains Roger Klause's magic and many testimonials from his friends. In addition to the methods, it has construction and principles of magic. Routines include: The Miser's Cornucopia, Smokeless, The Sponge & Sleeve, The 100 Bill Change, The Torn & Restored Bill, Even Money, Cheque, The Chimerical Bill, Billusion, The Operator, The Soft Double, Double Down, The Breakout Display, The Automatic Block Transfer, The No-Count Zarrow, The Bluff Bluff Pass, Framed, Going South, Triple Play, The Bantam-Weight Card, Turnabout, What's Good for the Goose Is..., The Chinese Quartet, Red & White, Through the Looking Glass, and Ringmaster.
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20120202123701/http://www.mymagic.com/klause.htm
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20120506181733/http://www.stevensmagic.com/gemini/rogerklause.html
- Cover, The Gen, Vol. 19, No. 10, February 1964, from THE GEN desk … by Lewis Ganson – Roger Klause Issue, page 255
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 88, No. 10, October 2008, Broken Wand, Roger Willis Klause, page 128
- M-U-M, Vol. 98, No. 5, October 2008, Broken Wands, Roger Klause, page 24
- Genii Magazine, Vol. 71, No. 11, November 2008, On the Slant, by Jon Racherbaumer, Farewell to the Underground Man: Roger Klause, page 12
- http://www.mintonchatwell.com/services.asp?page=odetail&id=6118&locid=19 Roger Willis Klause March 19, 1938 – August 30, 2008
- http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=29448331 Roger W. Klause