Sid Lorraine (April 24, 1905 - October 15, 1989 ) was born Sidney Richard Johnson in England, but emigrated to Canada. His magic name was inspired by his attraction to the words Alsace-Lorraine (a territory in France).
|Born||Sidney Richard Johnson|
April 24, 1905
St. Neots, Huntingtonshire, England
|Died||October 15, 1989 (age 84) |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Categories||Books by Sid Lorraine|
He was a commercial artist and amateur magician. Lorraine was deeply involved with our International Brotherhood of Magicians from its beginnings in 1922 and was named "official artist" in 1925. He was a founding member on I.B.M. Ring 17 of Toronto and a member of the Order of Merlin Excalibur.
He knew Doug Henning when Doug was a teenager and acted as adviser on Spellbound. Lorraine also wrote the prospectus for Henning when applying for his Canada Council grant.
During the late 1920s and into the 1930s, he appeared on Canadian radio as "The Magical Chatterbox."
Lorraine created many effects including Created Snakes Alive, The Liquor Cards and Thumb Fun. He also invented the Slop Shuffle.
In 1926, he attended the first I.B.M. Convention in Ohio and met Percy Abbott, which brought about him doing a monthly column in the initial issue of Abbott's TOPS magazine. Eventually became the book reviewer for New Tops and also wrote columns for the Linking Ring. Sid drew thousands of illustrations for Abbott catalogs and publications. He illustrated Stewart James' rope encyclopedia.
- Patter (1938)
- A Magician in the House (1939)
- More Patter (1950)
- Gags, Routines and Patter (1962)
- Tricks Eleven - Part One & Two, serialized in New Tops (1971-1973) and renamed Twenty Two Terrific Tricks and Gags
- Sid Lorraine's Scrapbook (1985)
- ↑ http://www.magicana.com/SidLorraine/Sid_Lorraine.html Sid Lorraine Blog]
- ↑ Genii, Vol. 53, No. 1, July 1989, Sid Lorraine The "King Solomon" of Magic is Dead, page 906
- ↑ The Magic Circular, Vol. 83, No. 900, November 1989, Obituary SID LORRAINE, page 224
- ↑ M-U-M, Vol. 79, No. 6, November 1989, BROKEN WANDS Sid Lorraine, page 34
- ↑ The Linking Ring, Vol. 69, No. 12, December 1989, Broken Wand SID LORRAINE, page 109
- THE EARLY STUFF By SID LORRAINE, Published by MAGIC (1973), ABOUT SID LORRAINE, page 4
- The Magic Circular, Vol. 76, No. 829, October 1982, THIS IS YOUR LIFE by Peter Blanchard, page 99
- M-U-M, Vol. 73, No. 10, March 1984, Sid Lorayne Magician of the Month by Frances Marshall, page 10
- M-U-M, Vol. 73, No. 11, April 1984, Will the real "Rick Johnson” please stand up ... by Rick Johnsson, page 20
- http://canadianmagiciansarchive.homestead.com/L.html, Lorraine, Rene 1911, Lorraine, Sid 1905 – 1989