Snapper or Red Snapper is an gag type effect in which the magician is the only person that can catch a hook on a rubber band inside a cylinder.
Invented by G. W. Hunter in the 1910s and brought to the United States by Horace Goldin in 1920. With permission, Joe Berg became the first to mass market it in 1929 under the name Find the "Gimmick" Pencil. Originally designed as a wooden pencil with a bullet-shaped end that fit into a tube, it was later substituted with a hook for the pencil and added the rubber band to a red tube's bottom by S.S. Adams to become a standard joke-shop novelty item.
- Goldin and the Snapper Puzzle in The Berg Book
- The "Snapper" Move in Sankey Unleashed
- The Fabulous Red Snapper (Scotty York) in Magicana New Series and Genii 1975 May
- REVERSE RED SNAPPER by Ed Marlo in Genii 1976 February
- ↑ The Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic 1584-1988 by Whaley, Bart (1989)