|Publisher||William Hilliar, Dr. A. M. Wilson, John Mulholland|
|First issue||March 1902|
|Final issue||March 1953|
In 1906, Houdini started his own magazine partly in an effort to disparage and destroy The Sphinx, but the Conjurers' Monthly Magazine went out of business after only two years.
The 28 years of Dr. Wilson's ownership, the magazine covered one of golden ages of magic. Vaudeville was at it's height, bringing a variety magicians from all over the world to the larger cities of North America.
With Volume 1 Number 9, "The Sphinx" became the western organ of the Society of American Magicians and starting with Volume 8, it become the official organ of the Society of American Magicians.
Dr. Wilson died in April of 1930. William Larsen, who had idolized the doctor, had entertained hopes of taking over The Sphinx. Instead, that honor went to John Mulholland of New York. Mulholland established The Sphinx Publishing Corporation in New York City to assume the liability of producing the The Sphinx magazine around 1930.
Some of the many contributors over the years were: Ted Annemann, Al Baker, Fred Braue, Milbourne Christopher, Joseph Dunninger, Ade Duval, Karrell Fox, Robert Harbin, Guy Jarrett, Dr. Stanley Jaks, Ed Marlo, John Scarne and Harlan Tarbell.
A complete set would contain 52 volumes, 597 issues, and almost 17,000 pages.
Another magazine about the same timeframe and longevity, but published in the UK was the Magic Wand.
- Vol. 1 — No. 1 to 7 : William J. Hilliar.
- Vol. 1 — No. 8 to 9 : The Sphinx Publishing Company (M. Inez/E. M. Vernelo)
- Vol. 1 — No. 10 to Vol. 3 — No. 2 : M. Inez (E. M. Vernelo)
- Vol. 3 — No. 2 : M. Inez (E. M. Vernelo) A. M. Wilson, M. D., Associate Editor.
- Vol. 3 — No. 8 - Vol 29 No. 2 : A. M. Wilson, M. D.
- Vol 29 - No. 3 - Vol 52 : John Mulholland