Interest in the Art of Magic & Illusion
Professor JR developed an interest in the Art of Magic & Illusion at a young age, around age 10 or 12, after seeing several traveling magicians perform at a local high school and at an old movie theater in his hometown, and after visiting a magic shop for the first time while visiting relatives with his family in Lincoln, Nebr. The closest magic shop to his hometown was 85 miles away, but he got there as often as he could talk his Mom or Dad into taking him. And, much later in life, as an adult, had the good fortune to be able to visit many magic shops in New York City (including Jack Flosso's shop, and Tannen's) and elsewhere around the United States and in Canada. He had an office just blocks away from Al's Magic Shop in Washington, DC, where he would spend many a lunch hour and evening of Magician camaraderie.
Professor JR was born and grew up in Wyoming, north of Cheyenne.
He attended the Univ. of Wyoming in Laramie, earning B.A. and M.A. degrees in American Studies, studying on a Ford Foundation Scholarship; spent two years abroad on a Fulbright Grant; and, later in his career, completed a course for government executives at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Gov't. in Cambridge, Mass.
Over the course of his career, he has held positions as a professor at the Univ. of Hawaii, at the Univ. of Idaho, and at the National University in Asunción, Paraguay; as a seasonal Park Ranger in Yellowstone NP; as a Legislative Aide in the U.S. Congress; and as a senior Federal Government official at the Dept. of the Interior in Washington, DC, where he currently resides.
- University of Hawaii, Honolulu -- American Literature.
- University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho -- British & American Literature.
- Universidad Nacional de Asunción, Asunción, Paraguay --
-- American History; American Literature; American Political Thought.
-- Chairman, Department of English Languages, Instituto de Lenguas.
- National Park Service --
-- Seasonal Park Ranger, Yellowstone NP;
-- National Program Manager, Headquarters, Washington, DC.
- United States Congress -- Legislative Aide.
- U.S. Department of the Interior --
-- Congressional Liaison.
-- SES Executive.
- Society of American Magicians
- Washington Wizards
- Ancient and Honorable Order of Turtles
- ΌΔΚ - Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society
- ΦΈΦ - Univ. of Wyo. Phi Epsilon Phi Honor Society
- ΦΔΘ - Phi Delta Theta
- Iron Skull Honorary
- Assoc. of National Park Rangers (ANPR) - Life Member
- Employees & Alumni Association of the Nat'l. Park Service (E&AA) - Life Member
- National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA)
- National Wildlife Federation (NFW)
- The Nature Conservancy|
- Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)|
- Honolulu Academy of Arts|
Professor JR resides with his wife --- a television & film producer --- and family, just outside Washington, DC, where he is the purveyor of a small modern & contemporary art, and antiques & collectibles business; enjoys pursuing his interest in the art of Magic and Illusion, and collecting vintage & antique magic apparatus and memorabilia; and shares with his family a love of the outdoors, and participating in local animal welfare & rescue work, in addition to other hobbies & pursuits.
Professor JR - under the same username, is also a user/editor of Wikipedia, and, in addition to other Wikipedia contributions, works to improve entries included in that forum on topics related to the Arts of Magic & Illusion.