Cover of Genii (1961)
|Born||March 23, 1914|
|Died||June 17, 1984 (age 70) |
New York, New York.
|Categories||Books by Milbourne Christopher|
Milbourne Christopher (1914-1984) was one of America's foremost illusionists, performing in sixty-eight countries.
Christopher wrote more than twenty books, was national president of the Society of American Magicians (SAM), and was an honorary vice-president to the London Magic Circle. Christopher was also chairman of SAM's Occult Investigating Committee and was one of the original members of CSICOP.
His collection of magic memorabilia contained prints, paintings, photographs, posters, playbills and drawings of the greatest conjurers in history, and was the largest in private hands. Many of these items appeared in his book The Illustrated History of Magic. Friends recall that he was warm and willing to counsel and share his knowledge with new magicians. Christopher was married to Maurine Brooks, co-author of The Baker-Brooks History.
In November 2010, Christopher's widow, Maurine Brooks Christopher, published a special edition of "Houdini: A Pictorial Life" with Christopher Collection curator David Haversat
In April 2011, a sizeable portion of Christopher's collection was sold at auction by his widow, Maurine Brooks Christopher, through the Martinka Magic Company and magic auctioneer David Goodman.
The Society of American Magicians honors his memory annually by presenting "The Milbourne Christopher Awards" to performing magicians and illusionists in various categories, including: the Masters Award, Lifetime Achievement Award, Mentalist Award, Literary Award, and a Newcomer Award.
In 2012 Milbourne Christopher The Man & His Magic by William V. Rauscher was released by David Haversat's 1878 Press Co. 
- 1942 Tips on Tricks
- 1945 More Tips on Tricks
- 1947 Magic at your Fingertips (with Hen Fetsch)
- 1948 50 Tricks with a Thumb Tip
- 1949 Conjuring With Christopher
- 1952 One Man Mental Magic
- 1954 Magic from M-U-M (compilation)
- 1956 Panorama of Prestidigitators
- 1962 Panorama of Magic
- 1969 Houdini: the Untold Story
- 1970 ESP, Seer & Psychics: What the Occult Really Is ISBN 0-690-26815-7
- 1973 The Illustrated History of Magic ISBN 0-435-07016-9
- 1975 Mediums, Mystics, & the Occult: New Revelations about Psychics and their Secrets ISBN 0-690-00476-1
- 1976 Houdini: A Pictorial Life
- 1977 Milbourne Christopher's Magic Book
- 1979 Search for the Soul: An Insider's Report on the Continuing Quest by Psychics & Scientists for Evidence of Life After Death ISBN 0-690-01760-X
- 1991 Magic: A Picture History
- Milbourne Christopher The Man and His Magic by William V. Rauscher 
- ↑ Photo Genii 1951 February
- ↑ Cover Genii 1961 September
- ↑ http://www.illusiongenius.com/ChristopherBio.html
- ↑ http://184.108.40.206/mc/?page_id=49/
- ↑ http://220.127.116.11/mc/?page_id=47/
- ↑ Genii Magazine, Vol. 76, No. 5, May 2013, page 94
| This page incorporated content from Milbourne Christopher,
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License