Cover of American Magician (May 1910)
|Born||Theodore Francis Fritz|
May 7, 1872
Brooklyn, New York
|Died||May 24, 1939 (age 67) |
French Hospital, New York
|Notable works||Twentieth Century Silks|
Vest Pocket Magic
|Known for||Owner of Martinka|
Active in early SAM
Frank Ducrot (1872 - 1939) was an owner of the Martinka magic shop and a Chautauqua and Vaudeville performer. His performances on the circuit featured hand shadows, chalk talk, Punch & Judy Shows, and chapeaugraphy.
Ducrot developed an interest in magic as a child, and would travel by ferry from Brooklyn to visit Martinka’s in Manhattan. He decided at a young age that he would like to perform as a magician, and own a magic shop. He performed as "The Boy Magician", and was still often billed that way well into his 50's.
Sometimes called "Duke" or "Fritz" by friends, he was well known on the New York City magic scene. Although he was plagued by rheumatism and other health issues, he was said to have been one of the busiest magicians in pre-World War II New York.
In addition to magic, Ducrot would perform and number of other acts in his shows, including acrobatic physical acts, monologues, chapeaugraphy, Punch and Judy routines, and novelty bits (such as Musical Glasses). He performed on the Vaudeville and Chautauqua circuits, and in circuses, theaters, and tent shows.
When not performing, or running Martinka's with his assistant Daisy White, he was active as an inventor, magazine editor, and SAM organizer, holding card number 15. He was known for his close up and small scale magic, referred to at the time as “Vest Pocket Magic". He would claim that he could perform a two-hour show out of his pockets.
- "The Boy Magician, Frank Ducrot", by Michael, iTricks Magic Stuff, itricks.com, Aug. 4, 2014.[]
- "Frank Ducrot Dies", The Sphinx, Vol. 38, No. 4, June 1939, page 103.
- Cover, Mahatma, Vol. 4, No. 3 September 1900, FRANK DUCROT, page 393
- Cover, The American Magician, Vol. 2, No. 2, May 1910, Frank Ducrot, page 67
- Cover, The Sphinx, Vol. 22, No. 4, June 1923
- Cover, The Sphinx, Vol. 25, No. 1, March 1926
- Genii Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 10, June 1939, A TRIBUTE TO FRANK DUCROT, page 339
- The Jinx, No. 57, June 1939, Editriva – Frank Ducrot, page 402
- The Sphinx, Vol. 38, No. 4, June 1939, Frank Ducrot Dies, page 103
- Hugard's Magical Monthly, Vol. 14, No. 1, June 1956, Out of my Profonde, by Arthur Leroy - Saturday at Ducrot's Dirty Dump, page 436
- Bio-bibliographisches Lexikon der Zauberkünstler Edition Volker Huber, April 2002, Fritz, Theodore Francis = Frank „Duke“ Ducrot, USA Zauberkünstler; Zauberhändler (*07.05.1872 Brooklyn, New York City; †24.05.1939), page 123
- "The Boy Magician, Frank Ducrot", iTricks Magic Stuff, itricks.com, Aug. 4, 2014. Accessed 2015-07-18