Dundee Magic Circle

From MagicPedia, the free online encyclopedia for magicians by magicians.
Jump to: navigation, search

The Dundee Magic Circle was formed in 1938, initially with the name of the previously defunct Dundee Society of Magicians, by Harry Carnegie, William and Peggy Stewart, John Alf Scorgie (Al VeDare) and possibly Jock Beattie.

The early meetings were held in the Atholl Hotel then later moved to The Imperial Hotel (1952), Greens Playhouse (1956) and other locations. The club affiliated themselves to the Magic Circle in London in 1938.

The club honored Jasper Maskelyne, John Ramsay, Ken Brooke, Jack Le Dair, J.M.Fyfe, William Russell, Archie Duncan, Jock Beattie, Ian Spark, N’Gai, George Mussard, Bill Lockhart and June Leith.

The club developed its own club badge designed by Jack Le Dair.

In 1950 the club started to produce its own magazine, Monthly Mirror, edited was John Geddes. It only ran for two years.

A group would break away to formed another club in Dundee called Scottish Magic Circle.

The club celebrated its 60 years with a one day magical convention in Dundee on September 6, 1998 in the Marryat Hall, Dundee.[1]

As of 2004 they were still holding meetings.[2]


References

  1. http://www.scamagic.org/index.php/History-of-Magic-Clubs-In-Scotland/dundee-magic-circle.html
  2. http://www.ipswichmagicalsociety.co.uk/linsocregion.htm?region=Scotland
  • SAMS Magazine Volume 21 number 3/4 page 41
  • SAMS Magazine Volume 15 Number 2 page 28
  • Monthly Mirror the club magazine
  • Magic and Magicians T.A.Waters
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Interaction
Support our sponsor
Share
Print/export
Toolbox